14 month old waking during night!

(4 Posts)
Moonandback1002 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:29:16

Ladies I need help!! My little one has always slept through the night since he was about 8 weeks. I mean he was a dream a solid 12 hours! Then he literally turned one and hasn't gone a whole night through since. At first I thought it might be down to cutting the afternoon feed out, so I tried giving him a small beaker off milk once waking from his afternoon nap but it didn't make any difference and he wasn't really bothered about the milk.
He sleeps in the afternoon around 12.30 anywhere between 1 hour to 2 hour. He goes in his sleep bag and settles himself to his mobile music, normally takes him 5 minutes.
It's the same routine on a night time he will have a bath, stories, cuddles a bottle in his cot then lies down and is asleep in about 5-10 minutes again.
He will now wake up any around 12/1 then again at around 3/4 sometimes he will be comforted with his music being put on again or a cuddle. And I will be honest I given him a small watered down milk bottle cause I'm just so tired. But now I think I've made it worse by given him the bottle. Some times he will cry then settle back down for a bit then sometimes he will sound so angry when he is crying that I worry leaving him to cry will wake him up more.
I have upped his food and water in take during the day so he can't be hungry. I have sat in his room, stroking his head to send him back off, I've left him to cry a little which I hate
I just don't know what to do now and I'm so tired with being back at work. Any advice would be great

LillyPillly Fri 21-Apr-17 05:13:43

I'm in the same boat, although my 14 month old has never been a good sleeper since he went through the 4 month sleep regression... He still wakes 3 times a night for milk and then sometimes more for burps and cuddles. I would sleep train him, but I have 2 other boys who wake up when he screams so its easier to just give him a bottle (although I am permanently exhausted and have become a caffeine addict). I will sleep train soon though and plan to do the Ferber method (which worked for my eldest) and is the quickest way to teach them to sleep by themselves (without doing cry-it-out) or the pick-up/put down.

I have 2 older sons and did sleep training with my eldest and he slept really well, using the Ferber method, so I would say if he is just having a watered down feed at night to get rid of that so he doesn't start waking up for it. You can still go in there and comfort him though if you want, even using Ferber. You can rub their back and soothe them, but only for about a minute, then leave again...wait the next interval of time and repeat the soothing process.

I did a gradual distancing approach for my middle son (he is autistic so needed a really gentle method). Went from co-sleeping to rubbing his back to holding his hand to sitting in the room until finally letting him go to sleep by himself, but that took about 6 months!

There are lots of different methods so I'm sure you can find one that works for you. All my kids have been different sleepers so have used different approaches for each of them.

Moonandback1002 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:04:46

Thanks for the advice. Is the Ferber method where you go in at intervals when they are crying, soothe them then leave the room again then go back a few minutes later?

LillyPillly Sat 22-Apr-17 14:29:44

Yes it is.
You start with around 3 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 7 minutes then 10 minutes and then stop increasing at 10 minutes and just keep going in every 10 minutes until they are asleep.
Then the following night make it a bit longer.Start with 5 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 12 minutes etc....

I started weaning my 14 month old off his numerous bottles last night and went 3 hours between each bottle instead of 1.5/2 like he usually does. Tonight I will put a bit less in each bottle and go 3.5 hours. So even if he is awake and fussing I'll wait until its been 3.5 hours before feeding. Then tomorrow a bit less in each bottle again and go 4 hours.

It's a slow process but you have to be kind if they have been eating loads overnight otherwise they will wake up hungry and find it really hard to go back to sleep if you don't give them anything...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now