Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime routine for 10 year old

(5 Posts)
Lizadot Wed 19-Apr-17 10:55:49

What bedtime routines do you have for your 10 year olds? Just curious because bedtime seems to take forever in our house! confused

FATEdestiny Wed 19-Apr-17 11:45:20

I didn't really have a routine by that age. My 11 and 13 year olds puts themselves to bed and have been doing the same since aged 10, probably aged 8-9.

The routine for my 7 year old is:
- upstairs at 7.30
- teeth brushed/face washed (bath at 7pm if having a bath)
- gets himself into pyjamas while we get his 2 year old sister into her pyjamas.
- story with his 2yo sister
- into bed by 7.45pm
- Say nan night phrase and kiss
- he is usually asleep within 5 minutes.

Routine for my 11 and 12 year olds are:
- screens off 8.30pm
- Bedtime is officially 9pm, but 4 nights a week they are at clubs/sports that mean they don't get home until after 9pm - in which case we allow 15 minutes chill time, then bed. If no activities, upstairs at 9pm.
- they put their own pyjamas on, brush own teeth, get themselves washed.
- about 5-10 minutes after sending them up, DH or myself go up, they are in bed in dark room by this point, kids Nan night, that's it.
- usually asleep within 15 mins. No screens in bedroom.

Bringmesunshite Wed 19-Apr-17 11:58:19

Electronic devices off at 6. Totally undermine that with tellygrin .

Upstairs about 7.30. Accompanied by me or dh for chatting and faffing .
Dh or I swap about 7.50 to do more chatting and less faffing. Possibly dh or I will read to dd if that isn't interrupted by chatting.
Dd reads on her own in bed from about 8 to 8.30.
Lights out with an audio book on speaker set for about 30 mins.
Dd usually drops off about 9 ish.

summerlovinggirl Wed 19-Apr-17 12:38:24

My DS1 is 9.5.
His routine is dinner around 6ish. Straight after he makes his packed lunch for school the following day, then goes for his shower. After that, he gets a chat and cuddle with me and DH (if home). Depending on time he also helps me bath DS2.
Finally teeth then bed by 7:30. This changes slightly when he goes to cubs (he doesn't finish till 8) and he's allowed up later at the weekends.
Bed time sounds really early but he's an early riser (norm 5.30!😩) and that doesn't change if I send him to bed later - he just gets tired and grumpy!!

summerlovinggirl Wed 19-Apr-17 12:39:32

I should also say although it's an early bedtime; he's asleep within 5 minutes!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now