Talk

Advanced search

Grunting and straining at night but not during the day!

(6 Posts)
user1478809156 Wed 19-Apr-17 02:45:26

Hi
This is my first time posting but I'm hoping someone may have some suggestions on how I can get some sleep at night!
My 3 week old started grunting and straining at night 2 weeks ago and hasn't stopped since!
He is generally a good baby and doesn't cry other than for food but the noises at night are unbareable and I'm unable to sleep through them.
I've read on the internet its wind and digestion and he should grow out of it but has anyone else experienced this?
I am breastfeeding and formula feeding as he is a really greedy baby!
Formula is at night as my other half takes the first shift with him and I'm unable to express enough.
It's horrible seeing him in what seems discomfort although he doesn't actually cry until,he is hungry.
I wind him after feeds but he really hates it so don't tend to do it for long!
Ive not yet mentioned to my hv but will be phoning her tomorrow.
During the day he is generallly fine with only the occasional quiet groan, but generally sleeps really well during the day.

LuchiMangsho Wed 19-Apr-17 02:50:16

This is natural. You will have to learn to sleep through it. Also in the day time the ambient noise possibly drowns him out a bit.
It doesn't matter if he likes winding or not. It's making him uncomfortable so you have to persist.
Formula is often a bit harder to digest. I wouldn't solely be giving it at night in case that is naking things painful for him.

MumOnTheNurseryHunt Wed 19-Apr-17 02:52:11

My two week old is exactly the same! Wish I knew the answer as she sounds in pain and uncomfortable (and I also can't sleep!!).

FurryElephant Wed 19-Apr-17 03:31:25

My DD did this! I was so convinced something was terribly wrong blushI also read somewhere that it's very likely to just be that their little digestive tract all slows down overnight and it's all such a new sensation of digesting food/having wind etc that it makes them fidgety and seem super uncomfortable. Until a couple of months old they haven't quite figured out how to pass wind/poo properly by relaxing their bum muscles (or whatever the word is) which doesn't help. I tried all sort of infacol and gripe waters and nothing made a difference, then one day I realised that i no longer had a snuffly piglet sleeping next to me, but a relatively quiet baby grin

FATEdestiny Wed 19-Apr-17 12:18:12

I wind him after feeds but he really hates it

How are you winding him?

I used to call it a "winding cuddle" - in that all I was doing was cuddling baby and that cuddle just so happens to be in a position to assist wind being bought up.

After a feed, lift baby so that his head is on your shoulder, body across your chest and a hand on baby's back for safety while cuddling.

Then you don't need to be vigorous about it. Just holding baby there cuddling, swaying if you are standing, is often enough. Give it 10 minutes and a burp may come with nothing other than being held in a raised position. Or you can run babies back, again you don't need to be rough with your newborn. Just gentle back rubs and a 10-15 minute cuddle is enough.

Baby usually will fall asleep during this eondobg cuddle. That's normal and natural in a newborn. Once asleep, I'd lay baby down to finish his nap.

majorfwp Wed 19-Apr-17 13:30:42

I've just come out the other side of this. It's normal. A total pain but it'll change again in a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now