Talk

Advanced search

Getting 5 month old to sleep

(5 Posts)
Noisytoynoisybaby Tue 18-Apr-17 18:13:37

Looking to help my 5 month old learn to not be so reliant on milk at night since he won't settle without one. Has any one had any success , is he too young do you think? Anyone got ideas? We have started to put less milk to water.... For example 5 spoons to 180ml n reducing amount of water but don't want to damage him .... X

Noisytoynoisybaby Tue 18-Apr-17 18:30:05

I meant to say reducing the amount of milk spoon fulls

FATEdestiny Tue 18-Apr-17 19:25:02

Firstly, feeding more frequently during the day is a way to calorie load so that fewer calories are needed at night.

For example if you currently feed 3 hourly, try 2.5 or 2 hourly. That means more bottles per day.

Next, a dummy can satisfy the need to comfort suck without milk. You could try to settle with a dummy and a firm hand on hid chest, rather than picking him up for a feed.

ALittleOblivion Tue 18-Apr-17 20:26:15

It can be dangerous to water down formula in young babies before they are well established on plenty of solids can't it? I'm not a medical expert but if you google "water intoxication diluted formula" or similar there is info about it.... I can't help with the getting to sleep issue as I've always fed / rocked mine to sleep but please be careful!

Figgygal Tue 18-Apr-17 20:29:55

I have a 6 month old who has same issue but I've found that since starting weaning and having 2 bottles later in day (maybe 5 and then bedtime 7ish) helps. Last night he didn't have any dinner so was up twice in night.

I also wouldn't mess around with the formula ratios it's potentially dangerous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now