Talk

Advanced search

Throwing comforter out of cot at naptime

(7 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 18-Apr-17 14:14:06

I've been working on getting ds1 to nap in his cot. He's never done well at it, but we've been having some success since he developed an attachment to a cuddly. He cuddles it at bedtime (bedtimes fine)

He's 21months nearly, one nap a day. Very occasionally two shorter ones (if in car) or none.

Was taking an hour of complaining to go to sleep in the cot fir the nap, not crying, and better without me in the room. Not doing this every day but when we are at home. Got down to much less time, not exactly sure as not in the room with him but much quieter quicker, less complaining. He's started chucking his comforter out though, did it today with both things he loves, as I wasn't in the room I just thought he was complaining more than usual, sneaked a peak and they were both out. Gave them.back, chucked them out. Repeat. Worked himself into a state. Finally laid down with his favourite and slept.

Not sure how to approach it? Keep giving them back? It took an hour again today, but he usually sleeps for two.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 18-Apr-17 14:16:05

It could be time to consider swapping to a bed, then he can get them back himself.

Nottalotta Tue 18-Apr-17 14:19:20

Ah thank you but I don't think that would work. His bedroom is huge, and he'd just wander about and play, and get everything out of his drawers etc.

CrabbitArse Tue 18-Apr-17 14:21:26

Mine did this but I knew she wouldn't sleep without them so I did go in & give them back every time, but I didn't engage with her when I did. I just walked in, put comforter back in cot, said time for sleep & walked back out. I figured she was doing it to get my attention so I wasn't going to make it worth her while. Mine was a professional sleep refuser though.

FATEdestiny Tue 18-Apr-17 16:18:21

It's behaviour issue so like other behaviour you don't like, be cross about it. Stern "no", annoyed facial expression, don't engage, just hand back.

I have a 'A' sound that I use as a warning. Usually deployed alongside "The Stare" and cat-bottom-mouth. And sometimes accompanied by a pointed finger. The 'A' sound can mean anything - no, I'm watching you, don't even think about it, get down etc etc. I use it with my older children and even our dog!

I would probably stand by the open door for a few days and watch as toddler goes to sleep, using the "A" warning every time child went for sitting up or throwing toy. Prevention is better than cure and all that.

Nottalotta Tue 18-Apr-17 19:55:13

Fate are you my mum?! She does A A A A! With accompanists bum death stare. I did say no, and he did stop after a while bit was worried it would escalate.

FATEdestiny Tue 18-Apr-17 21:17:22

Hee hee, it's a mum thing, I think. My mum used to do it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now