Talk

Advanced search

Baby only sleeps on my chest

(8 Posts)
salmaahmed Wed 12-Apr-17 01:34:39

So my son is 2 months, he only sleeps on my chest at night and I know it's super cute and good for bonding but as soon as I put him down he's awake or crying. I'm also very tired please help

Amira90 Wed 12-Apr-17 01:57:03

Does he seem in discomfort? Or just wanting cuddles?
My LO was like that for the first month or so. It's only since we have sorted Reflux and CMPA issues that she's finally sleeping on her back happily.

StrawberryJelly00 Wed 12-Apr-17 02:06:24

I don't mean this in a rude way but is this really a shock to you?

Your baby has been inside you for 9-10 months literally a part of your body and you are surprised as to why the baby wants to be close to you?

Google - 4th trimester

Good luck x

user1482079332 Wed 12-Apr-17 02:10:36

Enjoy it while it lasts. My lo would only sleep that way so I slept slightly propped up and wrapped a blanket round him. He's to big now at 1 4weeks so sleeps to the side of me. Growing to quickly.

thisagain Wed 12-Apr-17 02:23:41

I think I slept for most of the first year propped up with pillows. We got to a point for a while where I didn't even bother trying to lay down because the second I did, he woke up! My son had colic - I don't know if there was any connection. We then progressed to him laying next to me provided I was touching him all the time. In time, he moved in to his own cot. He is now 6 and asleep in his bed, going to bed at 7, never waking in the night and only coming in to my bedroom at 7am. Just take it a step at a time. I found it easier just to accept it for a while knowing that none of these stages last forever.

Mysterycat23 Wed 12-Apr-17 02:45:07

Co sleeping is a bit controversial but it can be helpful as part of a progression towards baby sleeping in their own bed. Can you gradually move baby into the crook of your arm and then slide baby to your side, onto the warm part of the mattress? Then co sleep in a C shape. Make sure baby is not under the duvet, tuck baby blankets over baby. Make sure baby has enough blankets to keep him/her warm.

I've a bedside crib and did this, then progressed to baby in the crib with my arm in the crib. Then gradually withdrew the arm. I found a hot water bottle to warm the crib really helped.

At 8 weeks my LO was still needing hot water bottle and my arm in there with him if memory serves. He's 11 weeks now and will sleep part of the night alone in bedside crib, no hot water bottle needed.

FATEdestiny Wed 12-Apr-17 09:32:13

What you need to remember is that if you fall asleep with baby on your chest, there is a much greater risk of Sudden Infant Death, baby being suffocated or smothered.

It is a big risk, especially so with a very young baby like yours, if you might fall asleep with baby in this position.

salmaahmed Thu 13-Apr-17 03:06:33

I've opened his cot up on one side and bought it onto my side of the bed, I've tapped him to sleep and I think il take your advice ladies by taking it one step at a time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now