Talk

Advanced search

Help! My 16 month thinks 4.30am is morning!

(6 Posts)
Katurah Sun 09-Apr-17 05:50:35

We're on morning 5 of this and it needs to stop! He is awake, happy and playing - delighted to see me in fact. What can I do? Tried more food, more exercise, later bed time. He is on the verge of walking so I don't know if it's that?!

Any advice?

jackinthepox Sun 09-Apr-17 06:01:16

Ugh, I feel your pain.

My top tips would be:
- maximise outdoor / sunshine time during the day
- if his wake time is consistent, then set your alarm for a few minutes earlier, go to him and gently pat or something to stir and then resettle him. The idea is to 'reset' the sleep cycle, not wake him.
- if he's happy, why are you getting up with him?

Dothbutternoparsnips Sun 09-Apr-17 06:35:33

We tried everything. In the end the only thing that sorted it was time. She now sleeps till 530 😬

TronaldDump Sun 09-Apr-17 06:49:53

Same issue here, same age too. Only he's been doing it for the last 4 months! My best recommendation is to go to bed really really early! Also we do a bit of controlled crying - he's not allowed to get up until 5.30am so we give some water, reassure and leave for a bit. It's actually amazing how fast he goes from bouncing around to crying then back to sleep, even if only for half an hour.

DS1 was an early riser but improved by himself around 18 months - just praying DS2 does the same! It's horrible being up this early isn't it?

Katurah Sun 09-Apr-17 07:25:11

Thanks guys.

He's only happy because I've gone to get him. He plays by himself for about 20 minutes in his cot then cries. He had been having a 1hr nap days 1-3 when he was at nursery. He had 3 hours with me yesterday and another hour later in the afternoon which I'd hope might reset him but 4.47 today instead of 4.36. He didn't go to bed until 9 last night either (usually half 7)

We're going on holiday to Italy today. It'll be kill or cure I'm sure!

Katurah Sun 09-Apr-17 07:25:53

Doesn't help I'm 19 weeks pregnant either! 😴

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now