Talk

Advanced search

DS has a cold and won't nap in the day but sleeps fine at night!

(5 Posts)
SpaceDuck Sat 08-Apr-17 15:03:09

So as the title says really.

DS is 7 months old. He's been sleeping through the night 7-8/9 since 12 weeks old and that hasn't changed even when he's been ill. He's also been a really good napper, and will have 2-3 naps a day, usually approx 1.5-3 hours(I know I'm very lucky). Most of the time he will settle within about 5-10 mins but can go up to half an hour if he's a bit over tired but I try my best to avoid that.

For the past week or so he's been all bunged up and full of snot. I've been using saline drops and that bogey thingy to clear his nose out to help him breath properly and it seems to help a bit. He was napping ok for the first couple of days, few tears but not too bad BUT for the last 4 days he is taking 1 hour+ to settle for a nap and when he does it's only for about 30-40 mins and he's still knackered after. He absolutely screams his head off and crawls around his cot or pulls himself up on the bars. I thought, maybe he wants a cuddle for comfort and have tried picking him up, cuddling him, sitting in the rocking chair with him etc and nothing works, he just screams in my face. If I can actually get him to stop crying somehow, he just screams when I put him down again. I feel awful leaving him to cry when he's unwell but I don't know what else to do.

I've even taken him out in the pushchair this morning but it did nothing. He's now been in his cot for 1 hour 20 mins and I have been in there about 100 times to try and settle him. I know he is tired (probably over tired by now) but he's having none of it.

What can I do to help him?? I don't want this to become a regular problem and I feel so upset I can't even comfort my baby when he's poorly and tired sad

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 08-Apr-17 15:47:08

Have you tried calpol plug ins? They work a treat overnight when my DD has a blocked nose. If it's only naps though, you might have to put it in about half an hour in advance.

SpaceDuck Sat 08-Apr-17 15:52:47

Oh no, Never seen them before! Just had a look on Amazon, might be worth a go, think I will order one now. Thank you!

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 08-Apr-17 16:05:41

You can get them in boots/supermarkets if you need one quicker than Amazon can deliver. Only problem is it's also a nightlight which is really bright and my DD's room is normally dark. I have to cover the light up with a slipper!

Hope he's feeling better soon.

SpaceDuck Sat 08-Apr-17 17:38:40

I was in Tesco earlier I should have seen if they had one!! Oh well, I've got Amazon Prime and they will deliver it by tomorrow so should be able to cope until then.

Ah yes that may be a problem, he likes all light blacked out...should be able to find something to cover it though. Not really too sure I fancy walking round with only 1 slipper 😂

He's quite happy and generally not too bothered by it any other time until it comes to nap time then he just screams and screams. He did fall asleep not long after I posted this and did thankfully manage an hour and 15 minutes so that's something.

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now