Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7 month DD taking an hour to go down for nap

(10 Posts)
silkpyjamasallday Sat 08-Apr-17 11:31:28

My DD is just shy of 7 months and has so far been a dream baby, went down for naps quickly and easily, slept well, eating well and very happy and placid when awake. Never been ill, never had a temperature even after her jabs, never been particularly sick-y either so this change has hit us hard!

Over the last week teething has started in earnest and it is like I have a different baby! No teeth yet but gums are rock hard and swollen. She is now wanting to go back to sleep after sometimes only half an hour awake, but it is now taking the best part of an hour or more to get her to sleep. She used to feed to sleep but now doesn't seem to want to, she is breastfed and we cosleep. Rocking, cuddling, white noise nothing is working to speed it up. Night waking she will drift off again with a cuddle rather than a feed now most times. She has been biting my nipples and grinding her jaws on them I think to soothe her gums, but it hurts so much I simply cannot endure it. We have got teething gel, but after applying it she pulls a disgusted face and spits and dribbles and I assume this is reducing its effectiveness because most of it will be washed out by the drool.

We have tried dummies even though I didn't really want to, and although initially they help, she spits them out after a while and then starts hysterically crying. She isn't very good at moving objects to her mouth to chew so teething toys haven't been working very well once she lets go they come out of her mouth and then more crying.

The last two nights when I have gone to feed her at around 10pm (she generally goes down for the night at 8 and this 10pm feed is done when DP and I go to bed) she has vomited up what looks like her entire stomach contents after feeding. No temperature or any signs it would happen, and she is totally cheerful and normal afterwards. I think that these extended periods of feeding and rolling away over an hour could be her eating too much, because she is sucking for comfort but still getting milk. She has been very enthusiastic for food since weaning at 6 months and we have been giving her some purées at around 6-7 pm for her dinner. (Her hand eye coordination didn't work for BLW, she just shoves whatever food it is straight to the back of her throat and chokes so we are just using purée for now) The vomit has seemed to be mostly milk though, so I don't think it is an allergy, she has a wide range of foods and has enjoyed everything she has been given. My diet hasn't changed and I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary.

She has just started to take her first steps when standing holding onto the sofa or our hands, and in the last two days learnt to roll back to front so I did think maybe she is squashing her tummy when she is too full by half rolling over and this makes her sick? Or the developmental leap disturbing her sleep? She has always hated tummy time and I don't think she will bother trying to crawl despite my encouragement!

I can't get anything done in the house at the moment as her naps are shorter and it is taking so long to get her down, but she is definitely tired, rubbing her eyes and yawning, not making eye contact etc. All her usual cues that a nap is needed but then won't sleep!

Any advice would be much appreciated, even if it is reassurance that it is a phase and to ride it out. I'm lucky I cope very well on little sleep!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 11:36:51

Have you tried sticking her in the pushchair and going for a walk to see if she'll sleep better?

silkpyjamasallday Sat 08-Apr-17 11:48:32

Yes, walks in the pram haven't been working either, nor have car journeys, rocking chair... I've run out of ideas!

FATEdestiny Sat 08-Apr-17 11:57:12

Regarding teething pain, have you tried Calpol and/or ibruprophen? When mine were actually cutting teeth (so the 2 or 3 days of very bad pain) I used to give maximum daily doses of both throughout the day. That meant that by night time then had plenty of pain killer in their system.

This might just be a short term thing while teething and will go back to normal. So I wouldn't be inclined to make any perminant changes. Just do things to help you both cope in the short term.

silkpyjamasallday Sat 08-Apr-17 15:02:40

I haven't tried calpol yet but we do have some, I may try it today and see if it improves matters, thank you!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 17:30:06

Did you try the Calpol? Incidentally an ortho surgeon told me tha ibruprofen is much better at dental pain than paracetamol.

Thesunwillcomeout Sat 08-Apr-17 17:36:01

I posted here last weekend, tearing my hair out with my 7mo dd who has gone from being an amazing sleeper to waking up from every single nap after about a third of the usual time and waking in the night. We had several weeks of disturbed sleep and about 8 total nightmare days. Definitely all due to teething. We've been using calpol and nurofen for three days and sleep is gradually starting to improve. In fact I'm typing while she sleeps in the still car on the drive. Unheard of last week. I seriously recommend calpol.

Sunshinegirl82 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:31:01

Have you tried anbusol liquid? You can get it directly on the gums and it seems to work better than the gels.

Teething is a nightmare, ds is now 9.5 months and still completely toothless despite teething for what feels like forever!

silkpyjamasallday Sun 09-Apr-17 02:09:43

Well she had 2.5mls of calpol and has gone back to sleep after each feed much more quickly, but is feeding more often again. I can't believe I was such a dunce and forgot about calpol! I never take painkillers so I forget they exist, I feel so bad now for dd being in pain, but she did get lots of extra cuddles

Sunshinegirl82 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:03:00

On nights where it's clear the teeth are bad I quite often give a dose of nurofen first then a dose of calpol at the next wake up (as long as it's been more than 2 hours) quite often that will do the trick. I also put anbusol on regularly. Fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now