Talk

Advanced search

3 mo suddenly started kicking at night

(5 Posts)
makemineadoubleplease Fri 07-Apr-17 17:18:49

My ds (13weeks) has, for the last few days, started kicking a lot at night in his sleep.

It's only really started the past week or so... but from ~10pm onwards he starts kick kicking like he's dreaming of running the London marathon. Sometimes cycling one leg after another, sometimes both at the same time.

It makes an awful racket and wakes me up (we cosleep) as well as him. He seems to do it when in light sleep... so where I used to be able to resettle him with a dummy if he woke between feeds, I now have to keep feeding him to sleep every hour or two at night, or bring him into my bed where he seems to sleep much better with less kicking.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or have any suggestions about how to deal with this? I'm not sure if it's gas or some kind of bizarre self soothing ritual (like the head turning/rubbing), or maybe even a growth spurt thing, but it's driving me bonkers and I'm getting seriously sleep deprived. I'm not comfortable bed sharing as a long term solution here so any advice welcome!

makemineadoubleplease Fri 07-Apr-17 17:20:58

Oh and I forgot to say. I'd assumed it was wind, but I cannot think of anything in my diet (I bf) or his routine that's suddenly changed in the last few days to cause this problem!

Jasquers Fri 07-Apr-17 20:38:34

My 4.5 month old has been very active in his sleep for over 2 months now. He kicks, wriggles and moves especially in light sleep (normally early hours of morning). We co-sleep too and it is really disruptive to my sleep! Not sure what to do-other than to cease co-sleeping. Have read they will grow out of it but Im still waiting!

Jasquers Fri 07-Apr-17 20:42:53

Oh, and just to add to this, he now babbles to himself for around an hour after his night feed......so really suffering on the sleep front!

Blossom789 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:03:19

My DS is 11weeks and has started doing the same.. I think it's a combination of finding his legs and also relieving gas as he often farts when doing it too. Whether he's worked out that moving his legs can get the gas out I don't know. He's more active in the day now too- think he enjoys the movement. I wonder if it's a boy thing??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now