Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to still swaddle 6 1/2 month old

(5 Posts)
holdontotheaffirmative Wed 05-Apr-17 00:02:33

DS has always been a terrible sleeper but is at his worst just now. He's a serious arm flapper, especially when he's tired and it seems to stop
Him settling. Fairly regularly, I can only get him to calm down and go back to sleep if I swaddle him. Is he too old to be swaddled? Any ideas how I could wean him off of it?

FurryElephant Wed 05-Apr-17 00:22:57

I've read that once they can roll they should no longer be swaddled, so if he's rolling then I think he is too old. If not and it works then go for it! My DD is only 4 months but to wean her out of the swaddle I used a Halo Sleepsack, it's like a sleeping bag with a Velcro swaddle around the chest and you can swaddle arms in or out, I did it sort of loose enough she could get her arms out of the top if she wanted and she just got used to it I guess and now doesn't need swaddling smile

Cocolocos Wed 05-Apr-17 06:34:59

DD had startle reflex for ages and wouldn't sleep with arms loose. We used the swaddle up 50/50 sleeping bag to help with the transition.

FATEdestiny Wed 05-Apr-17 12:54:43

There is no safety advice saying you should stop swaddling at a specific age.

In many cultures they swaddle right through to toddlerhood. It is difficult to manage a swaddled baby through learning to roll. But once through that stage, you can swaddle as long as baby likes it.

Hiw about sewing the arm holes up on a normal baby sleeping bag?

The 6-18m sized grobags will be big on baby, so ideal for this. Get the zip up the front, no poppers ones, rather than the zip around the edge with poppers. They are more appropriate for the age and easier for sewing the arm holes.

kel1493 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:09:47

If he still wants it then do it.
Personally I didn't do it at all as don't see the need for it. Never used sleeping bags either. But that's my personal opinion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now