Talk

Advanced search

Does sleepytot work?!

(12 Posts)
Tabitha1983 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:59:10

Hi ladies....mummy to dummy addict here 😂 Enduring countless dummy runs through the night and considering buying a sleepytot...or similar comforter with Velcro arms etc.
Baby is only 5months so obviously at the minute he won't be able to re-insert dummy himself but thinking about the future and whether it's worth trying to introduce one now in the hope he will use it as a comforter.
My main issue however is that he continuously knocks/takes his dummy out whilst falling asleep (unless he is swaddled) and then cries for me to re-insert it...and the cycle continues until he eventually falls asleep (for an hour 🙈🤣) Just can't see how if the dummy was attached to a comforter he wouldn't just pull it and therefore pull the dummy out?! Am I missing something?!
I'm hoping some of you have had some success before I buy another 'sleep aid' that doesn't like up to (unrealistic probably) expectations 😆

Nyancat Mon 03-Apr-17 15:08:26

We tried swapping dummy for comforters and ds would never switch allegiance. We ended up taking the advice of a friend and putting about 10 dummies in the cot and he was able to find at least one when he wakes.

Tabitha1983 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:18:31

Hi! Sounds gr8 to me...what age do you think he started finding and reinserting dummy himself?! I'm a bit demented here....he can wake hourly certain parts of the night 😕

babyblabber Mon 03-Apr-17 15:27:47

Sleepy tot absolutely works. From around 5.5 months DS could put the soother back in himself when it was attached to a sleeytot. My two girls were older when they figured it out but it's a godsend

Nyancat Mon 03-Apr-17 16:06:28

I'd say he was about 5/6 months he was able to find them himself. The downside is he's now 2 and we still haven't got rid of them!

Tabitha1983 Mon 03-Apr-17 17:40:14

Sounds gr8 ladies! Think I'll order one then 😀 He can keep it until he goes to university if he starts to sleep 😜😂

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 03-Apr-17 18:41:03

Sleepy tot is brilliant. Makes it easier for them to find their dummy when they spit it out. I put a dummy in DD's mouth (not attached to anything) and also put the sleepy tot in the cot with another four dummies attached to the paws. I often come in in the morning and she is using the sleepy tot dummy attached to the paw. She is attached to it as a comforter too.

Tabitha1983 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:45:32

That's excellent! That's what I was hoping for! How old is your DD?
I'm assuming at 5months it's ok to have sleepytot in cot? X

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 03-Apr-17 19:00:25

She's 21 months now but she's had it since 7 months. It says it's suitable from birth. I got one after someone on Mumsnet said they were good.

NoNeedToArgue Mon 03-Apr-17 19:09:05

It totally sorted out our hourly dummy runs and I would absolutely recommend it. However, although it says suitable for newborns, I am pretty sure you shouldn't put anything in the cot with a baby until they are at least 6 months and can remove it from their face if they need to. We bought our sleepytot when dd was about 5 months, but didn't start using it until she was closer to 7. We now have two, one for home and one for kindergarten. I absolutely love them smile

TwoMs Mon 03-Apr-17 19:16:08

We had success with a sleepytot too. From around 6 months my son had 4 dummies attached. Dropped down to 2 dummies when he was 10 months then down to 1, then none. He still takes it to bed now aged 3 years even though the dummies went a long time ago!

twinklehickorymoomoo Mon 03-Apr-17 19:21:49

My friend used to thread a Muslin through the dummy handle so it was easier for her son to find and get back into his mouth. That may work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now