Talk

Advanced search

5 and a half month old waking though the night- detective work!

(5 Posts)
StarkintheSouth Mon 03-Apr-17 07:29:00

My DD is 5 months old almost 6 and she is combo fed. Never been an amazing sleeper but had started to sleep for 5/ 6 hours stretch waking maybe once for feed. Now however altho she goes down around 8 (yay!) she wakes every 3 hours, you can pretty much set your watch by it. She's teething and isn't having the big bottles that she should be, she'll have 2/3 oz most feeds despite my best efforts. My theory is that she's so hungry she can't sleep as well (when she wakes at night she guzzles a bottle or breast milk) Therefore I think I need to try and feed her more regularly to see if I can get more calories down her during the day.
Does my theory sound right or could it be something else? Any help appreciated as several weeks of broken sleep is really taking its toll!! confused

FATEdestiny Mon 03-Apr-17 11:25:15

The first thing I would try is more calories through the daytime, so bigger and/or more frequent feeds during the day.

If daytime feeds have recently got much smaller, this will almost certainly after night time sleep.

StarkintheSouth Mon 03-Apr-17 17:40:28

Thank you!! That's what I've been thinking too...! X

Comealongpond89 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:13:07

At around 6 months my dd really dropped how much she was drinking because she was weaning as well. So I'd try to give her supper like porridge to fill her up before bed. She'd still wake but didn't want milk so I just shushed her back to sleep. She's 21 months now and doesn't eat a huge amount and has full fat milk before bed and usually sleeps through

StarkintheSouth Mon 03-Apr-17 22:22:35

That's useful to know. DM keeps telling me she'll sleep more when she starts on solids but there could well be a period where she drops calories again. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now