Talk

Advanced search

9 weeks old sleeping in arms during the day

(11 Posts)
missionmumlondon Sun 02-Apr-17 19:21:48

I'm first time mother. My boy is now at week 9, he's 12lb, born at 37 + 4 weeks.

He was feeding every two hours since last week where he now can go 3 hours without a feed. During the night he sleeps fine, just wake up every 3 hours and can be put down.

During the day, he will only sleep in my arms and once put down after 10mins he will notice that he's no longer in arms and then start screaming.

I don't mind holding him now but I don't know whether this is a phase or I'm letting him to develop come bad sleeping association! Please let me know your thoughts/experience etc

Thank you.

NewMumSept2014 Mon 03-Apr-17 04:13:48

I know this probably doesn't help but my DD did this up to about 5 or 6 months. She would only sleep in pram/ car seat or on me. I just kept trying to put her down every so often and one day she stayed there and slept in her cot for 2 hours. Hopefully someone else will have something more useful to say tho!

NewMumSept2014 Mon 03-Apr-17 04:15:50

I remember someone on here telling me to relax, forget about bad habits and enjoy the cuddles because they don't last forever. Having followed that advice I would do the same again if I was in your position.

soundsystem Mon 03-Apr-17 04:20:28

He's still really little, and adjusting to life on the outside. I'd say enjoy the cuddles! Just make sure you have tea/snacks/remote/something to read and settle in smile

(I also have a 9 week old DC2, and am spending most of the time DC1 is at nursery smelling him cuddling him.)

FATEdestiny Mon 03-Apr-17 11:04:07

It's not really a problem at this young age. However if you would prefer to have some personal space while baby sleeps, getting him to go to sleep is usually the easiest way, rather than transferring. So pushchair, car journey, bouncy chair, swing etc.

Heirhelp Tue 04-Apr-17 15:34:08

Get a sling! Enjoy the cuddles.

Wolfiefan Tue 04-Apr-17 15:36:04

It's a phase. Both of mine were like this when they were little. I worried about it with my first but just enjoyed the snuggles with my second.
Young babies don't develop bad habitS!

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Tue 04-Apr-17 15:39:33

Completely, totally, 100% normal. All newborns sleep best in arms and they grow out of it by themselves. My advice is either relax and enjoy it, or get a sling so you can get on with stuff/walk around while they sleep.

I miss those days!

OnTheUp13 Tue 04-Apr-17 15:46:49

Google the fourth trimester. My DD is 20 months and currently napping in my arms. It's the best feeling 💖

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 04-Apr-17 16:26:08

My DS was like this - improvement was gradual - initially he would only sleep in my arms, then he would sleep in a moving car/buggy but wake when it stopped. Then got to a point where he would sleep in a stationary buggy (breakthrough! meant I could rock him to sleep in the buggy at home then have a shower, do housework etc). Eventually got him to a point where I could transfer to cot asleep and he gradually learnt to settle in cot without rocking (shush-patting him instead) which we gradually reduced until he learnt to self-settle.

He's now a toddler and a really excellent sleeper, so don't think you're necessarily stuck with 'a bad sleeper', but don't expect miracles overnight.

missionmumlondon Thu 06-Apr-17 17:19:43

Thank you all for your advice. I will enjoy the cuddles. It really is the best feeling in the world smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now