Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal for a 3 week old?

(9 Posts)
Missmac84 Thu 30-Mar-17 04:23:29

This is my second child but I feel like I've forgotten everything from my first!

My ds is 3 weeks old and in the last 24 hours he has gone from eating 5oz every 3/4 hours (self waking) to only eating 2oz and me having to wake him.....

He was a very mucusy baby from birth but seems extra sniffly now.

I've tried my hv numerous times today and was told they would call back but they never have. He doesn't seem hot for a temperature and he is still weeing and pooing so would ibu to call the doctors tomorrow to have him checked out based on him sleeping more and eating less??

TIA xx

ICJump Thu 30-Mar-17 04:28:23

I'd get it checked out. It could just be an off day but might as well get him checked out. Even if it's just to put your mind at rest.

gfw01 Thu 30-Mar-17 04:39:34

If in doubt, get him checked out. At least it will set your mind at ease.

As pp said it could just be an off day.

FATEdestiny Thu 30-Mar-17 08:18:16

Unless there are weight gain issues, you should be able to leave baby until he wake up to feed, no need to wake baby.

How much is is he sleeping and how often are you waking him?

Missmac84 Thu 30-Mar-17 09:33:35

FATEdestiny:
He's abnormally sleepy for him - only awake for a total of 2 hours over the last 24.....

The reason I haven't left him to sleep is because when he's feeding he's only taken a max of 2 oz before falling asleep again, which again is a dramatic drop from what he has been taking.

He's also very uncomfortable with something; he's snotty and bunged up at least - but I have tonsillitis and I'm worried that I could have passed it on to him.

Missmac84 Thu 30-Mar-17 09:34:34

Oh - I'm waking him every 4 hours.

Appointment with the doctor this morning x

FATEdestiny Thu 30-Mar-17 10:20:41

Gosh, that's definately worrying. I hope everything is ok.

Missmac84 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:04:59

Doctor says he is fine - could be the start of an infection that he's only just caught so to keep an eye on him, or it could be that he's moving into a new routine x
Thanks for all your comments x

ICJump Sat 01-Apr-17 05:12:01

Glad you've had him checked out. Sounds like a sensible GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now