Talk

Advanced search

4 month old too many naps?

(11 Posts)
eliolo Tue 28-Mar-17 21:57:37

Hismile how much would be seen as normal for a 4 month old (almost) to nap?
Today she slept until 11am, but had a bad night with lots of wakings up then coslept from 7am which was a more solid sleep.
Then today her naps were:
12:40 for 45 minutes
15:15 for 50 minutes
17:40 for 50 minutes
19:30 for 40 minutes

Altogether she frequently has up to 16 hours sleep in 24 hours and I just worry this is too much? Sometimes she's only up for an hour in between napping. She's either cuddled or in the sling for naps and I really struggle to get her to have any longer naps sad

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Tue 28-Mar-17 22:14:12

If she needs it she needs it. I wouldn't worry
Dd is 6 months. She has 40 minute naps every hour and half of waking.
Sounds perfectly normal to me.

FATEdestiny Tue 28-Mar-17 22:24:29

More sleep promotes better sleep.

As long as she is happy and awake during awake times, you can't really have too much sleep.

WowserBowser Tue 28-Mar-17 22:29:18

Dd was the same. Slept loads! Never interfered with her sleeping through the night either.

She is now 5 months and the last 3 days has only napped three times in the day.

ProfessorPickles Tue 28-Mar-17 22:30:39

My son used to have up to 18 hours sleep every day, he'd sleep 12 hours straight and have two 2 hour naps every day.
He just needed it and would be very difficult and moody if he missed them or was late for them!

It made things a little restrictive as if we went out we'd need to be back for a certain time or he'd get over tired and be an absolute nightmare to settle. But tbh I was just thankful for the rest!

So as long as your little one seems happy try to enjoy it OP! smile

eliolo Tue 28-Mar-17 22:32:30

Thanks everyone smileso many people have said she naps too much so I was just after a bit of reassurance! Coincidentally they're also the people who have no children and think a newborn should be able to self settle so I was a bit hmmill let her nap away!

Emma2803 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:40:02

Yep definitely normal. I think my son was still on 4 x 45ish min naps at that stage. About 5 months it was 3x45-60 min and at about 8 months it was down to two longer naps. He was two today and still has about 13 hrs a day, 10-11 at night and a single 2-3hrs nap after lunch.
Don't listen to the critics, you know your baby and what they need. My number one rule is if they are sleeping they must need it so let them sleep. My son was also a baby that slept through growth spurts as opposed to eating more. Once slept from 5pm til 7am though I woke him for a bottle but he went straight back to sleep!

eliolo Tue 28-Mar-17 23:53:32

Thanks Emma! Loads of things you read say they should be having 3 naps a day but she just wouldn't cope confusedhappy birthday to your DS! grincake

FATEdestiny Wed 29-Mar-17 09:02:09

Her naps will evolve into 3 nap days. It mostly happens naturally.

As she starts to nap longer, she'll stretch how long she stays awake between naps and do they become less frequent.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Wed 29-Mar-17 09:50:13

I found this really useful as a rough guide
www.babysleepsite.com/naps/baby-naps-chart-how-many-how-long/

Lemonnaise Wed 29-Mar-17 10:55:16

My DD slept about 17 hours every day at that age, it's completely normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now