Talk

Advanced search

Sleep regression 22 months?

(8 Posts)
Lilybo7 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:52:16

My toddler has been a great sleeper for the past 7-8 months, wanting to go to bed in her cot and sleeping through the night. However one night last week about an hour after bedtime she woke up and started screaming and screaming and refused to go back into her cot. Since then she has refused to go anywhere near the cot, so we have to put her down to sleep on our double bed, creep out when she's asleep then one of us sleep on the bed with her. We have tried moving her to the cot when asleep, but then she will wake up in the middle of the night screaming blue murder again . It feels like we are back to the early months again, creeping around trying to put her to sleep and creeping out of the room in case she wakes up. If she knows there is nobody there she will wake up and start screaming. Any advice please?

dinobum Tue 28-Mar-17 16:06:52

Are all the teeth through?

Lilybo7 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:23:44

No they are not all through but most - I think the ones missing are at the back. But she doesn't show any signs of teething throughout the daytime.

TeaTeaTea Tue 28-Mar-17 17:51:22

My DS is 17 months so my advice is only what I'd surmise I'd do if he does this.

I would first try sending DC to bed with an item of my worn clothing so they have mummy smell with them to soothe. Next thing I'd try and change the bedtime routine (from experience this worked when dropping DS's bedtime boob feed - the experience of new things took his mind off my milk much like it may with whatever is upsetting your DD).

More drastically I wonder if a change around of her room would help, maybe with a new cuddly toy from her fave TV show - couldn't make it any worse if she's not wanting to sleep in her room anyway...? Are there any shadows caused by car/streets lights that could spook her?

I have so glow in the dark stars that I considered sticking onto my DS's, only reason I haven't yet is he won't ever be awake to see them when they're glowing. But maybe you could turn the lights very low and look at them with her. Might help mesmerise her to sleep.

Lastly a lovely nightlight maybe.

Wish you luck and sympathies x

TeaTeaTea Tue 28-Mar-17 17:55:03

glow in the dark stars that I considered sticking onto my DS's ceiling

Not onto him personally :-)

FATEdestiny Tue 28-Mar-17 19:24:28

Could you put a mattress on the floor of her bedroom to see if you can try to settle her in the cot (holding hands through the cot bars maybe) with you lying down in her bedroom as she goes to sleep.

Introducing a night light may help too.

Lilybo7 Wed 29-Mar-17 11:13:28

Thanks all. smile Some good ideas here. I think we are just going to have to put her into the cot / take the side down and try out with a mattress. Will see if I can get some new toys or nightlights for her room too. I had a mini meltdown last night - stressful day at work, long commute then lying in my bed with DD for an hour in the dark trying / willing her to go to sleep as I just wanted to get some dinner!! arggh! So frustrating when putting her to bed was really easy before but has turned into the most stressful thing ever now sad

dinobum Wed 29-Mar-17 17:51:27

It's bang on time for those last four molars, which are horrific. My dd is 21 months and getting them, it's taking ages and she only shows any symptoms at night. I still bf so i know she's teething as her latch gets 'bitey' shock so I reckon it may well be that. I'd have anbesol at hand for night wakings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now