Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stomach sleeping

(11 Posts)
CalJo Tue 28-Mar-17 04:16:45

Hi there

Has anyone let their baby sleep on their front?

I am really struggling with my little boy who refuses to sleep on his back. He is 15 weeks and has reflux which is now managed by meds. Since he was born he would not go any longer than 20 minutes on his back. I had to resort to sleeping with him on me but I am finding it so hard to sleep like this especially with him getting bigger. I have tried co sleeping and I have the sleepyhead in his bedside crib and willl only sleep on his front but I'm scared to let him do this because of the sids risk. He has good neck control and when I have put him down on his tummy he turns his head easily. I don't know what to do, I can't continue him sleeping on me much longer.

Skisunsnow Tue 28-Mar-17 05:05:13

My DD was the same, suffered terribly with silent reflux and wouldn't sleep on her back, even with the cot raised. By the time she was about 12-13 weeks she had learnt the art of rolling onto her side and then managed to shuffle onto her tummy. It terrified me, but the same as you, she had good control of her neck. I just made sure the was nothing in the cot, just her in her sleeping bag! She slept better and actually still sleeps the same now, at 2 1/2 yrs old, with her knees up to her tummy with her bum in the air! Good luck.

CalJo Tue 28-Mar-17 06:24:12

Thanks skisunsnow, i think I will start testing it out during the day. Xx

Jasquers Tue 28-Mar-17 10:21:08

My DS has slept on his tummy (in a sleeping bag) since he was 2 months old. He just didn't sleep well on his back. He could move his head easily from side to side and sleeps in a cot next to my bed. He takes long naps on his tummy and does some long stretches at night. I know it goes against all current advice........

DorotheaHomeAlone Tue 28-Mar-17 10:26:56

We got to the same point as you at the same stage. DS just wouldn't go longer than 20m on his back and it was driving me crazy. I was falling asleep with him on me at night and struggling through the days.

In the end I decided it would be safer to let him sleep on his front. He had good neck control, was bf, same room as me, nothing else in cot. It wasn't risk free but still very low risk. It was the right decision for us. He immediately started doing long stretches and has slept through from 7 months with a bit of sleep training. Still only sleeps on his tummy.

kel1493 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:32:09

My lo slept on his front from when he was able to roll over. I've always left him, and he was fine.

kel1493 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:34:30

He was unwell at birth and had to stay in hospital for 12 days. He was put on his front by the nurses once. They wouldn't tell me why, they said it wasn't for any medical reason or anything, that's just how he was when we got back to the hospital (id gone home for a shower and change of clothes).

Nottalotta Tue 28-Mar-17 16:09:47

Ds is six weeks old and had reflux. He's in a sleepyhead which is raised at the head end. I feed him, hold him upright for half an hour then gently lay him.down. Hold his arms down for a few minutes. He'll sleep fir 2-3 hrs like yhis, three times (8-11, feed, 12-3, feed, then 4-5 then will need to be upright til 6 when we get up)

Nottalotta Tue 28-Mar-17 16:12:15

This is ds2,. Ds1who a terrible sleeper but I just wouldn't risk.putting him.on his front. Sids has reduced with babies being on their backs. Ds1 started sleeping on his front at around 5 months when he rolled there himself.

Pocketsizedpixie Fri 14-Apr-17 06:50:37

I weighed up the risks of putting DD2 down on her front, against the risks of falling asleep with her on me in bed/while driving. For me I felt the latter was more dangerous, but ideally I would have her on her back. I have continued to try and get her to sleep on her back, but if we're both really exhausted I do let her sleep on her front, and have done since she was a few weeks old.

mummy2pickle Fri 14-Apr-17 21:01:50

My dd had CMPA and severe reflux from birth and would not sleep unless on me. I spent the first 8 weeks with her sleeping on my chest until she got too big and I decided to try her in her cot on her front. The sleep didn't improve dramatically but she did sleep a little and it meant my arms were free which was the main reason if doing it. I had a sensor pad under mattress and video monitor to check her but she ended up sleeping so much better in time and never allowed me to place her on her back. Even now at 3 she will always roll over to her belly and stay like that. I Say do what feel right and works for the baby but be mindful of risks good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now