Talk

Advanced search

Any children's books about "going to sleep"?

(23 Posts)
TheLongRains Sat 25-Mar-17 21:10:07

I've decided it's time to tackle my daughter's bedtime properly. I hope to eventually have her just going to sleep on her own, but I kinda want to show her what that means, if that makes sense!

Are there any toddler-friendly books out there that tell a specific "going to bed" routine. Like, "I get into bed and mummy reads me a story, then I snuggle down" type thing? (rather than our current "I fall asleep on the boob and somehow end up in a bed"... hmm )

She's only 20 months, but seems to be able to chat in a simple way about some of her other books, so I'm hoping that means she'd be able to understand a story about bedtime, and we could then refer to it as we change her bedtime routine.

I'm hoping this may help!

Semaphorically Sat 25-Mar-17 21:13:00

How to tuck in your sleepy lion might work?

Thegirlinthefireplace Sat 25-Mar-17 21:15:47

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Udj-o2m39NA

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Stillnoidea Sat 25-Mar-17 21:19:16

When our DS was a lousy sleeper we made a 'book' with him in it with a story about him staying asleep. Took posed photos and ones when he was actually asleep. Might be worth considering?

Also, take a look at Goodnight Moon.

elQuintoConyo Sat 25-Mar-17 21:22:19

5yo DS has adored tjis book for the last 2 years. Goodnight Little One.

www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Little-Margaret-Wise-Brown/dp/1474865925?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Sorry it is from Amazon USA site, not sure how that happened! My Aunt bought it in the UK, so I don't think it is hard to get.

CherieBabySpliffUp Sat 25-Mar-17 21:22:43

I opened this thread expecting it to be about pets being "put to sleep" shock

OlennasWimple Sat 25-Mar-17 21:23:57

Is it bedtime, Wibbly Pig?

(Though when I read it out loud, I just say "no", not "no, silly")

^^ This will make sense if you know the book smile

AtSea1979 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:26:21

Why do you omit silly?

RandomDent Sat 25-Mar-17 21:26:24

Goodnight Buster is a good one. All about the routine and a touch feel one too.

AllFurCoatNoKnickera Sat 25-Mar-17 21:29:24

We got a book for DS called "bedtime" which we picked up in M&S. I'll try and grab the publisher name when I go back upstairs.

Each page is a different step, ending in mummy and daddy saying night night to baby.

My DS loves it, gets really excited when he sees the book and turns the pages. We only really read this at night so he knows when the book comes out it's bedtime.

TheLongRains Sat 25-Mar-17 21:29:33

sema thank you, I'll see if I can find it in a book store to have a read. Looks promising!

thegirl hahaha! That's exactly the kinda thing I meant ;)

still the thought had crossed my mind that I could write my own... Though that's an even better idea to take photos. And also means I can tailor it to our own routine.

elQ ooh thanks, I'll look at that to. About to have a visit from US family, so will ask them to bring it if we can't source it here smile

Cherie ...i won't lie, sedatives have not yet been ruled out as an option for her bedtime routine...(only a mild tranquilizer, of course wink )

OlennasWimple Sat 25-Mar-17 21:30:41

AtSea - DS started saying to me, when I asked him to go do his teeth etc, "no, silly" and I didn't like being called "silly" by my DC...

When I started reading it to DD I just omitted the "silly" from the outset

TheLongRains Sat 25-Mar-17 21:31:59

Ooh, more ideas! Thanks!

She has a wibbly pig book that she really likes, so that may go down well.

I'll look up the other ones as well. (I can see bedtime routine becoming ten times longer as we read through all the books I'll end up buying!)

apintofwhine Sat 25-Mar-17 21:33:12

The baby who wouldn't go to bed. The illustrations are lovely

AllFurCoatNoKnickera Sat 25-Mar-17 21:55:53

It's by a company called small talk

QuackDuckQuack Sat 25-Mar-17 22:06:02

There was lots of publicity a couple of years ago around this book. No idea if it works.

Semaphorically Sat 25-Mar-17 22:10:03

Quack we have that. It's looooong and very boring. DD lasts about four pages normally before announcing she's bored.

QuackDuckQuack Sat 25-Mar-17 22:31:13

Perhaps it only works on children who are too polite to say they're bored.

RandomDent Sun 26-Mar-17 08:36:19

I have the rabbit who wants to go to sleep. It's very long and my son would just get cross. But he knew what I was up to! grin

insertimaginativeusername Sun 26-Mar-17 08:46:22

I have the rabbit who wants to fall asleep on cd and leave it playing in the room....lazy yes, but I can't read the story in the same tone! Cd works, book didn't for me.

Semaphorically Sun 26-Mar-17 18:46:28

Ooh insert does the cd work? I've always thought the principle behind it was clever even if the book itself is a bit tiresome.

insertimaginativeusername Sun 26-Mar-17 21:29:00

Does for both of mine, actually makes me sleepy too! I tried reading the book but just couldn't get the tone of voice right.

TheLongRains Sun 26-Mar-17 21:47:20

This is brilliant, thank you all! I'll start with the ones which just give a normal "going to bed" story (seeing as she's not actually at all reluctant with her bedtime at the moment, she just relies on breastmilk to knock her out), then if she starts showing signs of not actually wanting to go to bed, I'll move onto some of the other ideas that seem to tackle the reluctance smile thanks so much for the help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now