Talk

Advanced search

Is this a great idea or have I lost the plot? Music at bedtime

(14 Posts)
MarzipanPiggy Sat 25-Mar-17 17:52:32

DD who is nearly 5 struggles so much with going to sleep. I've posted before...

Anyway she has a Russell the Sheep Dog (?) which currently plays a story read by me when his paw is pressed. It's not doing anything for her/us.

I'm contemplating re-programming it with soothing sleepy music instead. Has anyone tried this at bedtime? Can you recommend a good sound track? I'm not sure what DD will make of it but we need to try something different....

hesterton Sat 25-Mar-17 17:55:18

Gentle classical wih no vocals - you can buy music compilations specially for soothing babies and children. I used to use one years ago with my dc but I don't recall what it was called. It had some lovely music on it though!

cookielove Sat 25-Mar-17 17:59:44

We play white noise to Ds (it actually runs all night) at bed time, helps settle him and keep him asleep. It's a great sleep cue we were thinking of weaning him off it but the neighbours are noisy and this stops him waking to all the sounds we make.

I have heard that bird song is meant to be relaxing!

KingLooieCatz Sat 25-Mar-17 18:01:04

We've been round those houses and back. Think it very much depends on the child. Lots of relaxation for children CDs and bedtime books available once you start looking. DS has got much better. We had a sleep advisor and on her advice the evening routine is all designed for winding down from tea time onward. It took a while to get better! Best of luck.

MrsJayy Sat 25-Mar-17 18:02:48

Dd used to listen to a lullabye tape (yes it was that long ago) before she went to sleep she progressed to a radio which she still listens to before bed

MarzipanPiggy Sat 25-Mar-17 18:02:54

Thank you. I think this is about the only thing we haven't tried yet. We've had a sleep adviser in and that did make a difference for a while, but DD just finds it incredibly hard to relax and keep her body still, even during the day.

Mummamayhem Sat 25-Mar-17 18:02:57

Yes my DD has always been a good sleeper but she likes to relax to music (various types but currently disney mix cd) as she drifts off. It has to be on every night.

ipswichwitch Sat 25-Mar-17 18:04:48

DS1 (5yo) likes George Ezra at bedtime - he's asleep by the third song. Unfortunately he wakes several times a night still, so it's not cured him of that, but he's always hated going to sleep on his own so at least the music helps with that.

Bubblysqueak Sat 25-Mar-17 18:05:30

My ds listened to music all night long. It's the only way he will sleep and has done for nearly 3 years now. It's quiet, classical and we all get a good night's sleep.

IDefinitelyWould Sat 25-Mar-17 18:10:10

My dd likes an audio book called the elephant who wanted to fall asleep. It never fails to knock her out.

MarzipanPiggy Sat 25-Mar-17 19:26:21

Thank you, I'm glad to read that others have found it helpful. Will give it a try and (hopefully) look forward to having some time to ourselves before 9.30pm for a change..

SamPotatoes Sat 25-Mar-17 19:59:11

Both me and two of my children use Ocean songs by Dirty Three to fall to sleep to when we are having problems dropping off naturally. No vocals, just music and I'm usually asleep 10 minutes after putting it on- even if I've been tossing and turning for hours previously. DD started listening to it at 6 and says she imagines she's on a boat bobbing on the sea in time to the music.

museumum Sat 25-Mar-17 20:02:04

We use the music setting on Ewan the sheep. Ds is 3.5.

Chocolateorangegoblin Sat 25-Mar-17 20:05:49

We use guided sleep meditations for DS, there are loads on YouTube. I used to use classical music when he was a baby and DS2 currently has Fan white noise on to go to sleep. DH and I have Harry Potter audio books on at bedtime as well. Its such a nice way to go to sleep I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now