Talk

Advanced search

4 week old DS only sleeps on me!

(17 Posts)
OurVelocity Thu 23-Mar-17 17:39:41

Hello,

My 4 week old DS used to have his daytime naps happily in his Sleepyhead next to me on the sofa after a feed. In the last week or so he's woken up as soon as I lay him down and will not settle and cries! As soon as I pick him up and put him on my chest he sleeps for approx 2-3 hours before waking again for another feed. Is this change normal? How can I get him back in the Sleepyhead so I can get off the sofa at some point?! Not that I don't enjoy the cuddles smile

He sleeps fine in it when we go to bed and sleeps from around 11 - 3 then doesn't really settle back to sleep unfortunately.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful! smile

gluteustothemaximus Thu 23-Mar-17 17:43:53

Sorry, I have no ideas. Just that it's normal. 4 weeks is teeny weeny. My one year old still sleeps on me and then I can browse mumsnet grin

daisygirlmac Thu 23-Mar-17 17:45:00

Its normal for him to want to sleep on you! However if you want to get up and about have you tried a sling? My 6 week old DS will also sleep in his bouncy chair so that might be worth a go as well if you have one

OurVelocity Thu 23-Mar-17 18:01:53

Thanks for your replies smile Yeah he is a little poppet and really young, it's just I feel a bit trapped on the couch while DH is at work!

I have a sling which I'm trying to fathom out, and while he doesn't cry in the bouncy chair, he will sit in it for a bit while I eat or go for a wee!

As long as it's normal then that's fine. Do you think he'll go back to dozing elsewhere when he's a bit older?

DarrylsLilAssKicker Thu 23-Mar-17 18:07:36

Completely normal - my 9 month old still naps on me but she only naps twice a day. I like the break!

gluteustothemaximus Thu 23-Mar-17 18:10:09

I know what you mean about being trapped. As he gets older they'll be other things you can do, like going for a walk in the buggy and getting his sleeps in that way.

Sling idea sounds good. Only advice is get everything around you, food, drink, phone, tv remote so you're not stuck. Can't help with needing the loo though. That's a pickle!

Congratulations on your little boy flowers

Sagggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 23-Mar-17 18:12:07

Absolutely normal. Get a carrier, something like a Moby Wrap, and just wear him! You won't do him any harm, or make him clingy, he's right where he wants to be.

Sagggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 23-Mar-17 18:13:50

Just saw that you have a sling. Track down your local sling library and get them to give you a hand. They'll also have loads of different types you can try if you don't get on with the one you have, AND, you'll meet lots of nice new mum friends too. smile

monkeyfacegrace Thu 23-Mar-17 18:15:01

I'd KILL for a 4 week old attached to me.

Just get a wrap sling and carry on with your normal days. He will sleep and snuggle up, you occasionally plant a sloppy kiss on his head and everyone's a winner.

ChoccyJules Thu 23-Mar-17 18:22:34

Yep, normal at that age. It will change in time smile

Astro55 Thu 23-Mar-17 18:27:57

He may have heart burn after a feedback- keep him more proped up to help with wind and reflux coming up to burn -

Same with cot - prop up with a towel or cushion

OohNoDooEy Thu 23-Mar-17 18:33:02

It can help to wait for 20 minutes before you put them down. Often when you put them down they'll startle awake again but if you shh right in their ear and put your hand on them, they can go back over

minipie Thu 23-Mar-17 18:36:52

Yeah normal. About 4 weeks they get less sleepy and so can get more fussy about the conditions they'll sleep under.

He might be better with more winding, being wrapped in something warm (maybe tuck a thin blanket under your bum as you feed him, then put it on the Sleepyhead before you put him down), or being laid on his side. Swaddling can help too as can a dummy not that mine would tolerate them dammit

minipie Thu 23-Mar-17 18:36:58

Oh and white noise

OurVelocity Thu 23-Mar-17 19:18:29

Thank you all, I'm totally loving the cuddles I assure you! We have wanted this to happen for many years so I'm making the most of it! smile

I will see if there is a sling library in my area, good shout. I've got a white noise app which I use at night to hopefully remind him that it's nighttime. I have a lovely little nest with stuff I need round me, just feel a bit guilty for catching up on daytime tv!

FTM85 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:00:37

It gets better. I was on here weeks ago, my little one is 8 week s now, asking the same question. People said it gets better but I didn't believe them - and it has! I think between 6-7 weeks, she suddenly seems to become more 'aware of herself' if that makes sense. Almost as if she wasn't part of me anymore. She's much more comfortable being put down now, and drowsy. She'll drop off with a couple of strokes of the face. It's not totally changed she will still only sleep on me or dh sometimes but we just make the most of it now when she does smile

ginswinger Thu 23-Mar-17 21:06:48

Enjoy it, I have to subtly rugby tackle my 5yo DD to get cuddles (no damage done I might add)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now