Talk

Advanced search

Help! 9 month old waking every 90 minutes!!

(4 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Thu 23-Mar-17 05:48:30

She's impossible to put down in her cot without waking her and when she does finally go down it's only for 1-2 hours and she will only be breastfed back to sleep sad
I don't know why she's doing this again, we had got to a point where she was going for 4 hour stretches sometimes, which was great but it didn't last long. I don't know if it's wind, teeth, that we've just upgraded to the sleepyhead grand or if it's something else entirely.
I'm getting migraines and muscle pains from lack of sleep so something needs to be done. Please help!

Scrumptiouscrumpets Thu 23-Mar-17 06:22:26

The answer is in the first sentence of your op: you need to start putting her down in the cot awake, stop trying to put her down without waking her.

Some children will be fine being bf to sleep, they will not wake when transferred to the cot and will not wake often during the night. However, for many babies it stops working at a certain age - earlier for some, later for others - meaning they will wake often during the night, sometimes after every sleep cycle (which is what your baby is doing) and need the same routine that got them to sleep in the first place.

You will need to wake her after her feed, then put her down fully awake. You could feed her with lights on and then look at a book after her feed to wake her up fully. This introduces another part of the bedtime routine most parents will keep for years.
She will protest because she does not know how to go to sleep on her own, but she is capable of learning. You just need to decide on what method you want to use to teach her to go to sleep. There is a thread on here entitled What worked for us, which explains the gradual withdrawal method. Other parents do controlled crying. Choose a method that suits you and your baby.

In any case, you need to be consistent - don't start and then feed to sleep after half an hour or during the night. Your partner needs to be on board, too.

FATEdestiny Thu 23-Mar-17 16:27:04

You definitely need to be putting her down not-asleep. That's the key to better sleep.

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 24-Mar-17 11:41:52

Thanks, we have the no cry sleep solution so will give it a read. Couldn't bring myself to do CC or CIO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now