Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning at 15 months

(3 Posts)
MakingItUpAsIGoAlongHere Mon 20-Mar-17 10:36:56

I've decided the time has come to night wean my 15 month old DS. He is mostly weaned now and is only BF just before bed and when he wakes in the night. He's still waking up and not settling without a feed twice in the night (about midnight and 4am, but the timing varies).

I know that he can go all night without feeding as he's done it before, but I'm not quite sure how to actively wean him at night. Do I just stop BF and offer him water instead? I can imagine that there will be lots of crying and not much sleep, but is it like CC where they realise after a couple of nights that there's no milk and so stop waking up? He drinks quite a lot when he does wake up so I'm wondering if he's genuinely hungry, he eats like a horse at the moment! I would think at 15 months he should be getting enough calories during the day though?

MakingItUpAsIGoAlongHere Mon 20-Mar-17 11:08:57

Forgot to say I don't feed him to sleep - he gets a feed then gets put in bed awake and puts himself to sleep.

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 20-Mar-17 13:00:42

Dr Jay Gordon has a night weaning plan.

Could you send somebody else in when he wakes up so there's no chance of milk. We night weaned DD at 16/17 months and DH took over night wakings. She was still feeding to sleep at that point though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now