3-month-old napping and nighttime sleep

(9 Posts)
user1487969570 Sun 19-Mar-17 05:54:25

DD2 is 14 weeks and I'm struggling so much with her waking in the night. DD1 slept 12 hours a night from 8 weeks old and has never regressed so DD2 has been a bit of a shock and I just keep feeling like I'm doing everything wrong.
DD2 goes to bed between 6pm and 7pm. She is always knackered by this time as I'm struggling so much with her daytime naps (fitting in around my 2 yr old is very hard). She then has been waking at 11pm, 2am, 4am and 5am then not settling back to sleep. Then at 7am DD2 is up and I have no chance for any morning rest to recover. Daytime naps are a nightmare. Sometimes she settles on her own in Moses basket but this is extremely rare. Mostly I have to take her out in buggy and buggy must be in constant motion (tough when DD2 wants to walk along at her own pace exploring things). DH gives me breaks when he can but this is hard to do often as she is ebf with very infrequent bottles as and when I'm taking a rest. I suppose my question is will this pass? Is it normal? I'm feeding her back to sleep in the night and fear I'm just making the night waking worse as she now expects boob. She won't take a dummy to help with daytime nap or night settling. I'm so so tired running round after the toddler I just don't know what to do with myself.

Strawclutching Sun 19-Mar-17 06:25:25

I feel for you. I really do as sleep deprivation is hideous. But actually I think you've got it pretty good. Sleeping through early is unusual and if I was you I'd just thank my lucky stars you had that with one baby.

My second baby was doing the same as yours at 14 weeks and the relief I felt as I classed that as a 'good sleeper'. He slept through at 10 months and I was delighted. (Although was up 3 hours last night and I ended up feeding twice just to get through it).

3 times s night at 14 weeks is very normal as is early waking. Hard but normal. Dd1 used to wake every 30 minutes and get up at 330. (Till she was 13 months)

I'm sorry you're so exhausted as doing nights with a toddler is hard work. I wish I could come up with a good solution but I think at this age you just have to push through.

Zeitgei5t Sun 19-Mar-17 06:41:43

Hi I'm afraid that is perfectly normal sleep for a 14 week old and dd1s sleep was a fluke. It is hard in the first year especially as you don't have chance to catch up. What time do you go to bed? I found sacrificing my evenings and just going to bed when kids were in bed was my only chance to get rest. (I was only sacrificing staring at the TV anyway as i was too tired for anything else!!) Do you have a wrap? That might be easier than going for walks with the buggy as you can just continue with dd1s normal routine. Otherwise know that it does pass and all babies sleep through eventually.
I wouldn't drop night feeds at this early stage she's probably just hungry as they're stomachs are tiny at this age.
Good luck and remember not to be too hard on yourself! X

user1487969570 Sun 19-Mar-17 07:23:31

Thanks so much for your messages, made me feel better in my sleepy state this morning. I have a sling but not used it much, maybe I should give it another go on a more regular basis. You're right we were extremely lucky with DD1, thankfully she still sleeps through despite the baby making noises in the night so I am glad for that.

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Mar-17 09:11:40

Was DD1 formula fed? You really cannot compare sleep in a newborn who is exclusively formula fed and one who is breastfed.

A massive readjustment in expectations is probably what is needed.

Have you tried a bouncy chair for daytime sleep? It might not be ideal, but it's easier for perpetual movement while simultaneously entertaining a toddler at home.

user1487969570 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:57:41

DD1 was breastfed also. Unfortunately DD2 will drop off but can't stay asleep in bouncy chair as noisy DD1 always wakes her up. The only way she will sleep through noise is if we are out in the buggy in constant motion.

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Mar-17 10:06:04

Gosh, sleeping solidly without waking at 8 weeks onwards when breastfed is exceptionally rare.

You must have had vast abundance in your milk supply. Do remember that no two breastfeeding experiences are different. You life is very different this time around, so it will be a different outcome. This time, you are just having a more "normal" experience.

user1487969570 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:00:50

I was very strict on routine with DD1 whereas I have had to go with the flow a lot more now there is 2! Thanks for the reassurance

JumpSturdy Tue 21-Mar-17 18:25:53

As well as sling or bouncer, can you try background noise (radio on or even white noise) to off-set the impact of a noisy toddler? Mine would sleep through any amount of continuous hubbub, but was easily disturbed by sudden or inconsistent noise in a quiet environment. Just a thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now