Talk

Advanced search

8 week old with odd sleep pattern

(4 Posts)
Kitty39 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:34:29

My little boy is 8 nearly 9 weeks and has add sleep patterns. In his first two weeks his sleep pattern was:
Sleep at 7
Wake at 12, feed, back to sleep.
Wake 3, feed, back to sleep.
Wake 5, feed and back to sleep again.

He'd then wake at 7 for the day and nap randomly. However after this he started waking every hour, then only sleeping on me and up right (he has reflux).

At 6 weeks he began this sleep pattern again, waking up at 12, 3, 5 and finally 7, he was also fussy during this time and screamed for the full day but the crashing at 7. But now he's back to sleeping for an hour at a time with random and short daytime naps, but he's no longer screaming all day.

I'm a first time mum with 0 support other than my partner, anyone have any ideas?

FATEdestiny Sat 18-Mar-17 20:48:08

8 week is early to expect a routine, but following a cycle of events can help. For example, from getting up in the morning through to you going to bed and taking baby with you, as EASY cycle:

Eat - feed upon first waking up

Awake time - at this age this may just be a 15 minute kick on the floor as you check if his nappy needs changing. As soon as grumbling starts...

Sleep - Movement helps, and dummy.

- You time while baby sleeps

Then baby wakes up and you start again with E for Eat. And keep repeating the cycle all day, every day.

Heirhelp Sun 19-Mar-17 17:04:51

Far too early to have a routine. I used the above routine and we love. Don't stress about what time things happen just look at how long ago things happen. Your baby should not be awake for longer than 90 minutes so rather than think he should be going to sleep at 7 or whatever just focus on trying to get him back to sleep when he has been awake for 70 mins.

mimiholls Sun 19-Mar-17 19:33:17

Way to early for there to be any form of pattern. You don't need a routine at this age. I didn't personally find the EASY routine helpful as baby may not necessarily want to eat and sleep at equal times. As long as you are letting him nap as soon as you see sleepy signs and feeding on demand that's fine. Night wakings will likely be entirely unpredictable for a long while yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now