Six month old waking up hysterical from naps

(4 Posts)
IsThisYourSanderling Fri 17-Mar-17 17:00:43

I don't know what's going on. He's a happy baby when he's awake, and sleeps well enough at night. He's developed this thing where he often wales from daytime naps and just ROARS, as if he can't handle the transition. It happens no matter how he's napped - in the sling, on me, or next to me - but usually after longer naps, not catnaps. It's really distressing as he's completely beside himself, struggling to catch his breath, seems terrified, and takes ages to calm down. He never cries like this when properly awake.

Anyone have any clue what's up, and how I can help him? sad

Newmother8668 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:02:50

Separation anxiety! My baby sometimes does this too. My son freaks out until I calm him down and say mommy is here, kiss his tears away and hold him. https://www.babycenter.com/404why-is-my-baby-suddenly-waking-up-hysterical-at-nightt_1292617.bc

fempsych Fri 17-Mar-17 18:09:46

Hate to say it but my 4 yr old still does this..😂
Clearly she can now talk but we still can't fix it - tv sometimes distracts her. Just seems to be a waking up thing - not nice to watch though

Scrumptiouscrumpets Fri 17-Mar-17 20:30:16

Is the situation he finds himself in when he wakes different to when he goes to sleep? For example, do you cuddle to sleep and then put him down? This might explain his distress when he wakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now