Talk

Advanced search

Should I ditch the dummy?

(8 Posts)
Mrsbadger77 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:48:06

I wonder if anyone can help me. My almost 5 month old is driving me crazy at bed time. She has a bf in her room in the dark, a little cuddle and then I pop her in her cot awake but drowsy sucking her dummy. She is happy. Then approximately 1-2 hours later she wakes up screaming like a banshee. I put the dummy back on and she sometimes seems as if she's going to settle but then gets worked up until I lift her and cuddle her. Try to it her back in cot and she screams! Do I end up cuddling her to sleep and co-sleeping. Does anyone know what's going on? Does she. Red to learn to self settle without the dummy? How? Thank you

Mrsbadger77 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:49:14

Sorry about typos. Posted too soon!

Semaphorically Tue 14-Mar-17 18:54:03

She might just be going through the 5 month sleep regression and need more cuddles than normal.

Mrsbadger77 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:54:10

I am more than happy to oblige with cuddles for now but I would like to know that this will end soon. She wakes every night just as I've gone to sleep!

FATEdestiny Tue 14-Mar-17 20:25:27

When she wont settle the dummy, she probably wants a breastfeed instead.

Dummy wont pacify a hungry baby.

Semaphorically Tue 14-Mar-17 21:58:17

Yes the sleep regression (if that's what it is) will end, it will take a few weeks. I agree with FATE as well - she might be hungry?

Mrsbadger77 Wed 15-Mar-17 06:27:59

Thanks. God I hope it ends soon. Same last night. She didn't want feeding when she woke. Settled as soon as I brought her in bed. I just wish I knew why she was waking up so soon in the first place.

Semaphorically Wed 15-Mar-17 06:58:07

Generally the sleep regressions happen when they go through a psychological development stage - they suddenly understand new things about the world and that's a bit scary so they want their parents close by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now