Talk

Advanced search

3mo old suddenly hates the pushchair

(17 Posts)
eliolo Sun 12-Mar-17 02:46:38

So up til 2 weeks ago my now 14 week old DD was perfectly happy in her pram or the car seat and would just fall asleep in them when she wanted to, usually taking quite a while for her to finally fall asleep though.
But now she screams as if she's being tortured if she's in either hmmhave tried putting her in the more sitting up bit of the pushchair, going for short walks when she's only just fed and napped, giving her toys in there and she has a dummy but NOTHING works. Prior to all this we'd go out daily for dog walks so it's not like she wasn't used to it confusedshe gets herself so worked up if I try and wait it out (on the advice of everyone I know) that it's near impossible to calm her down and I hate it.
Is there anything I can do? Is it because she's associating these things with naps and just really doesn't want to? I have a Connecta carrier and a stretchy wrap that she loves and will happily fall asleep in but I really struggle wearing them out and about as I'm still very anaemic from the birth and she's a bit of a chunk sad

Littlelegs19 Sun 12-Mar-17 03:00:38

No advice I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run. My DS (16w) currently HATES his bouncy chair. Can't/won't even sit in it for 2 minutes without screaming the place down. 2 weeks ago he was fine. The one at my DM house though, oh he loves that! Will sit in it for ages!

Strange things babies! grin

eliolo Sun 12-Mar-17 03:05:01

They are aren't they confusedno idea what goes through their little heads! If i thought my DD cried because she hated being put down I could understand it a bit more but at home she's more than happy to be on her playmat or rocker chair hmm

sycamore54321 Sun 12-Mar-17 05:29:05

Could she be uncomfortable? Has she grown too big for the current setting on the straps and could you try loosening them?

Other than that, no suggestions sorry. Seems very strange. Could you try giving her an occasional feed in the pushchair (not usually advisable) to recreate positive associations, if she takes a bottle? Could you experiment and borrow a different car seat or buggy from someone for a few hours and see if that is any better?

eliolo Sun 12-Mar-17 05:39:41

I tighten the car seat straps to however tight they need to be that day if that makes sense sadshe's currently in a group 0 one that can go on the pushchair so I might get a combination one and see if she prefers it. Unfortunately I moved to the other side of the country a few weeks before having her so don't know anyone to ask to try their pushchair.
Thanks for all your suggestions smileshe doesn't take a bottle either hmmstarting to think she's just a massive pain in the butt grin
Is it really cruel to go for walks and let her cry it out? sadmy mum is insisting that that's the way to go but I don't think I could do it!

FATEdestiny Sun 12-Mar-17 14:22:06

If it was me I'd probably just forego the pushchair dog walks for a week and skip the pushchair for the whole week. Everything may change by next week, she wont hold a memory so theres a good chance everything will be back to normal by next weekend, if she has a break from it.

eliolo Sun 12-Mar-17 14:36:22

I'll give that a try, thankyou smileshe's woken up today like a different baby and seems a lot happier in general so I'm really hoping it's just been a phase!

MiniMaxi Sun 12-Mar-17 15:30:34

Can't really give advice other than to sympathise - we had the same thing at similar age, carried him everywhere and then a couple of months later he (mostly) got over it and now happily goes in his pram most of the time! We still pack the carrier just in case!

I know you've tried this but in our case, one thing I found helped was to avoid putting him in his pram when he was at all tired or hungry - he often would drop off naturally while being pushed around but if he was tired to begin with I didn't stand a chance.

Also making sure he was super snug but not laying flat - we have a bugaboo and replaced the bassinet with the baby cocoon attached to the seat so he could sit up. Bloody expensive buying all the bits for it but what can you do?!

MrsKCoulter Sun 12-Mar-17 15:36:48

Just wanted to add that my baby went through a phase of hating the pram at about the same age. She would fall asleep in it but if she was awake there would be hell to pay. Usually I think it was because she couldn't see out very well and always wants to know what's happening. I used the carrier as much as possible and now she mostly puts up with the pram if the hood is down. So even if it isn't the same reason it's likely to be just a short phase.

eliolo Tue 14-Mar-17 19:54:02

Thanks for all your suggestions grinI'm going to try giving the pushchair a miss for the week and see if it's any better next week! As for the car seat we didn't go anywhere since Thursday but had an unavoidable 30 minute journey today, she didn't scream and then fell asleep peacefully on the way back so I have hope for the pushchair!

sherazade Tue 14-Mar-17 20:12:21

Try a connecta carrier . Might change your life .

eliolo Tue 14-Mar-17 20:29:17

Sherazade I do have one smileonly had it a couple of weeks so I think I'm still getting used to it but I struggle carrying her for long walks, hoping I'll get more used to it and it won't make me feel as exhausted soon grin

sherazade Wed 15-Mar-17 08:01:10

@eliolo unless you have back problems (and even then) it's quite rare to feel exhausted using the carrier if it's positioned correctly , especially with a tiny one. After three pregnancies my back wasn't the best but I can carry my huge one year old in it for hours. Is there a local sling consultant or library where they can check you've got it on correctly ? One tip that helped was to pull the straps down vertically over the same side shoulder before crossing over

eliolo Wed 15-Mar-17 08:34:06

@sherazade I'm hypermobile and my hips and shoulders dislocate/sublux quite frequently and because of my hips I think I walk with funny weight distribution if that makes sense which I think is mainly the issue grinI'm really anaemic after the birth too which is contributing. I do keep meaning to go to a sling meet to see if there's anything I'm doing wrong but haven't yet blushI'll give that a try though, thanks grin

Hedgeh0g Wed 15-Mar-17 09:12:41

If you can, with your issues I'd maybe try to get a private session with a babywearing consultant, as they can tailor the advice to you. Whereabouts in the country are you? If you're south east I might be able to recommend.

Can sympathise on the anaemia though. I carried my toddler in my Connecta until I was 3 months pregnant with baby 2 (so he was 18 months old), but really struggled after the birth with my newborn due to anaemia.

I know you said you tighten the straps of the car seat to wherever they need to be on the day, but have you checked the position of the shoulder straps doesn't need highering? For ages I kept mine on the lowest slot and realised they were actually coming from below his shoulders so pushing his shoulders down when they were tightened, if you see what I mean. Also, the head hugger - I forgot to remove it for ages and then when I did he looked so much more comfortable!

sherazade Wed 15-Mar-17 12:39:50

Second the babywearing consultant
I know it's a nightmare to stick to appointments and things with a a baby but the free session I had at my local babywearing group has brought me tons of freedom with a baby . Ds hated the pushchair and car seat from day one which was a shock for me as my previous children loved being in the buggy and car seat . So he's been in the connecta ever since and it's a really fab way of getting them around if you can solve the discomfort issue !

eliolo Wed 15-Mar-17 17:44:53

I'll try finding one smiledidnt even know babywearing consultants existed so thankyou! Unfortunately I'm up north but hopefully will find one smile
Hedgeh0g after your post I had more of a look at her in the car seat and decided to take the newborn head insert support thing out, according to the manual they say it should be possible to use for a good while longer but she looks so much more comfortable and seems like she's more "in" the car seat not sort of "on" it if that makes sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now