We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving too much in cot bed

(19 Posts)
Littlelegs19 Sat 11-Mar-17 05:53:42

I've just gone in to 4month old DS' room and found him the wrong way round in his cot! I put him down feet to end as advised and he has managed to turn himself so feet and head are both touching the cot bars!

Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again?

starsinyourpies Sat 11-Mar-17 05:55:54

Is he in a sleeping bag or using sheets etc? Sleeping bags are great for babies who move round a lot and generally very cosy, TK Max usually have a good range quite cheaply.

Littlelegs19 Sat 11-Mar-17 06:07:28

He isn't, no. Just on a crib sheet with a circular blanket on top. We tried a sleeping bag when he was about 8w old and it just didn't seem safe to me somehow but then he was tiny (prem baby)
Silly question, but him spinning in his cot like that isn't safe is it?!

icklekid Sat 11-Mar-17 06:13:02

The safety aspect is if he is going to get blankets over his head etc. I would suggest a sleeping bag too. What about it were you worried about?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 11-Mar-17 06:14:47

Yes sleeping bag, thst way you know he's not going to suffocate himself with the blankets. I have used them with all of mine from newborn.

LapinR0se Sat 11-Mar-17 06:29:28

Sleeping bag all the way and then let the baby roam!

IamChipmunk Sat 11-Mar-17 06:32:43

You can get very tiny sleeping bags (grosnug) for newborns. I think they go from something like 6-12lb but are well fitting and no way a baby could wriggle down in them. They also come in two weights for summer and winter.

I would definitely be using a sleeping bag once they can move about so they can't get stuck under blankets.

PurpleLeaves13 Sat 11-Mar-17 06:37:06

I used to worry about dd wriggling in to her sleeping bag but I found the asda ones had a smaller neck line than gro bags, I think she used one from about 3 months old

Littlelegs19 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:45:43

Thank you everyone. I think we were just worried he would wiggle down into it but he is obviously a lot bigger now so I deintly will try again.

I'm also worried about his head and feet up against the cot bars. Surely this is also a safety problem but I wouldn't know what to do.

welshweasel Sat 11-Mar-17 07:49:02

By that age DS was performing all sorts of acrobatics in his cot. So long as the cot is empty (no toys, bumpers etc) and they are in a bag rather than blankets there is no issue. He now wriggles til his head is pressed against the bars to go to sleep.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 11-Mar-17 07:49:30

It isn't a problem as such, but if you are worried get some air wraps- they are breathable mesh bumpers, totally safe and will stop arms and legs going through etc

Gizlotsmum Sat 11-Mar-17 07:50:13

Both of mine wiggled and ended up either across or the other way round. Sleeping bags are good and you could get some which poppered under the arm holes so no chance of slipping ( I had small babies). As to arms/ feet through cot bars we never had an issue, they would occasionally poke through so we would adjust as and when we noticed.. we often heard clinks as they head butted the board but no damage. They are still fidgets in their sleep now and I normally readjust them before I go to bed to ensure all limbs are in the bed at least

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 11-Mar-17 07:50:56

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/airwrap-4-sided-bumper-b6654.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAuonGBRCaotXoycysvIMBEiQAcxV0nJhS_aQRR-QscXBB2rQTeElGMEQyw9T2DQjvlsl84KgaAoIm8P8HAQ

CurlsLDN Sat 11-Mar-17 07:55:17

Grobags are sized by weight, the weight correlates to the average head sizes. So, if you buy one appropriate for his weight his head should not be able to slip through. It's easy to test, just close the bag up then try and pass it down over his head. If it does go over take it back, but I bet it won't

NerrSnerr Sat 11-Mar-17 07:59:59

As your worried I would go back to having him in your room as per SIDS guidelines until he's 6 months to put your mind at rest.

randomsabreuse Sat 11-Mar-17 08:06:21

All of my baby sleeping bags have had extra stitches put in under the arms so they stay put (long scrawny thing). She migrates all over the cot (19 months now) and always has - she used to shuffle around before she could roll. Getting them used to sleeping bags at an early stage is good as I'm pretty certain it is all that's keeping her from climbing out...

Nottalotta Sat 11-Mar-17 14:35:26

Ds is 19 months and still in a grobag as he moves so much. Often turns round completely, sideways etc. He'd never stay under er a quilt

FATEdestiny Sat 11-Mar-17 14:51:18

What NerrSnerr said^

Emma2803 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:17:11

Just wait until you find lo sleeping like this in the cot!!
Definitely go for a sleeping bag, not do any harm lying against bars, especially if in sleeping bag as won't be able to get feet out through

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now