Talk

Advanced search

What's happened to my baby?!

(7 Posts)
Nousername2015 Fri 10-Mar-17 02:08:34

DS just turning 14 months. Not walking yet. Trying to drop to one nap. However this week has started with extreme separation anxiety in the night. We already use a dummy and comforter. He will settle to sleep at bedtime (into cot sleepy but needs to hold my hand to drop off) but then will wake hysterical and inconsolable a couple of hours later and refuse to be settled in cot. Will not even settle in my bed, he thrashes about and still cries. When he does finally drop to sleep (which is hours later) he snores so loudly that I just don't get any sleep. Any ideas anybody??

Nousername2015 Fri 10-Mar-17 02:11:14

I'm not up for methods involving crying as he gets himself into enough of a state as it is. DH really wants to do it though and I've got a work trip coming up and will be away for a night so really want to get to the bottom of this before I go so he doesn't do CIO while I'm not there.

123bananas Fri 10-Mar-17 02:56:51

Teething? He could be waking in pain.

The molars come through around this age and ime seem to push through more at night.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 10-Mar-17 03:49:07

No advice as my LO is only 4 months but I feel for you. I'm exhausted with the night crying already!

Nousername2015 Fri 10-Mar-17 09:00:21

He has already cut 1 molar and the teeth seem to be coming through thick and fast but he won't settle even after ibuprofen. It's just like the newborn days, he will be fine in my arms but scream if we try to put him back in his cot. I wouldn't mind co sleeping if he actually slept but he moves around that much that nobody is getting any sleep!

FATEdestiny Fri 10-Mar-17 09:48:19

I tend to find ibuprofen (and calpol) are more effective for cutting teeth if the full dose is given over 24 hours. So, for example, giving 3 doses of ibuprofen over the course of the day (and/or 4 doses of Calpol throughout the day) is more effective than hoping a dose at bedtime makes a difference. Even if baby seems well during the day, I still dose up when cutting teeth, in order to help with sleep.

Having said that, I only dose on medicine through the few days of actuslly cutting teeth - usually 2 or 3 days. I wouldn't consider max doses as a good idea any longer than that.

Regarding the separation anxiety - can you sleep on a bed/mattress in his bedroom? Or bring his cot next to your bed in your bedroom?

LauraMcW Fri 10-Mar-17 19:07:36

No advice but my little girl is the same at the moment. Previously a perfect sleeper and is now waking in the night crying. I've read there can be a sleep regression at this age so just praying it passes soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now