Talk

Advanced search

DD finally taken a dummy. What now?

(10 Posts)
FidgetMcGee Thu 09-Mar-17 20:03:20

DD (6months) hasn't been a great sleeper since that glorious newborn phase when they simply sleep when they're tired. 4 month regression was awful and since then it's been very up and down.

She's EBF and has always refused bottles and dummies. I've got in to the habit of feeding her to sleep, tried to break it using Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution and failed several times.

The last week has been horrendous. If she was waking through hunger I wouldn't mind but she wakes, I put her on and as soon as she begins sucking she's asleep again. When I take her off to put her down she wakes and cries. Last night I co-slept and she fed on me for hours while sleeping. I need to stop this, not just because I'm losing my mind with tiredness but because it's not fair on her. She needs to learn how to sleep.

Tonight after too many failed attempts to put her in her crib, I tried to give her a dummy and she took it! Immediately went from crying to happily asleep! So, I guess what I'm asking is, what should I do now? Do I offer it for all naps and bedtimes? Just use it when she won't settle on her own? And when should I wean her off it? I probably need to get a few new ones as I'm pretty sure this is one for newborns - any recommendations on brands?

Apologies for long post.

MissObsessed Thu 09-Mar-17 20:17:05

I found a dummy to be a god send too, esp when resettling at night. I only give my DS his dummy for sleeping, so all naps and at night. If he wakes in the middle of the night I try reinserting the dummy but if he is still grizzly then I feed him. No point being woken every 10 mins to reinsert a dummy when a quick feed can get us both back to sleep as soon as possible.

EsmesBees Thu 09-Mar-17 20:20:57

Just use it for sleep times. We took dd's away at about 15months (our GP told us to, as she had a rash round her mouth). I worried she'd never sleep again, but she barely noticed and by then was used to sleeping well.

Rainshowers Thu 09-Mar-17 20:24:50

My DD had a dummy from a few weeks (despite saying there's no way a child of mine ever would have one hmm !) She just had it for naps and bedtime and the occasional sick day/long car journey. The worst phase was when it fell out and she couldn't get it back in herself, once we were past that (and would throw three or four in the cot) it was fine.

She weaned herself off it herself. She stopped being interested around 18months and just gradually cut down on it. I think by the time she was 2 she didn't even mention it.

ElspethFlashman Thu 09-Mar-17 20:30:04

Buy 6 month + ones, the brand really doesn't matter in my experience.

Don't worry about weaning her off it, seriously, that's miles away. Even if she doesn't wean off it till 3, who cares?

It shouldn't be needed other than naps and bedtime. You'll probably find she looks for it a lot, and you'll end up giving it a lot, but big deal. Whatever works.

I used a dummy clip on the front of the grobag from about 6 months. After a few weeks they could pop it back in themselves if they woke. HEAVEN.

FidgetMcGee Thu 09-Mar-17 20:30:46

Thanks all!

EsmesBees and Rainshowers - it's good to hear that dummy-weaning isn't always a nightmare. I was slightly concerned I'd be gaining an easier time now in return for problems when it came to getting rid of it further down the line.

FidgetMcGee Thu 09-Mar-17 20:33:04

Thanks Elspeth. I am certainly at the 'whatever works' stage!

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Thu 09-Mar-17 20:35:00

Glow in the dark ones regularly save my sanity. We have always used mam ones, dd didn't like tommee tippee ones but it depends on the lo I suppose.

Justwantcookies Thu 09-Mar-17 20:37:34

Just keep it for bedtimes and very long car journeys! so she doesn't end up wandering round with it in her face all the time! I used to leave all dummies in the cot. Never had a problem getting rid of dummies. With all mine it was around age 2, it's not a nightmare!

MissObsessed Thu 09-Mar-17 20:56:34

Yes winky glow in the dark are very handy when you're still half asleep!

We use Avent ones that come with a little cap that clips over the dummy. Handy for keeping them clean when not in use and for when chucking a few in the bag when leaving the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now