Talk

Advanced search

Baby deep sleep, wake or don't wake?

(9 Posts)
bshorty Thu 09-Mar-17 07:05:05

I'm sorry this goes a bit against the grain of other threads. My 5 month old slept longer than usual last night and scared me to death. I woke up at half 2 and realised he hadn't been fed since half 8 in the eve. He sleeps in his own room in a cot the majority of the night. (I know they recommend staying in the same room as you til 6 months but had to move him out to establish a good sleep routine for him due to DH sleep issues) I went In his room and he was so still and I couldn't hear him breathing so laid my hands on him and he felt cool so I then panicked and tried to rouse him. He did wake slightly and moved his head and arms then went back to sleep again. He was in a sleeping bag with a single layer blanket up to his waist. I removed the blanket then went back to bed. But got up to check him another 2 times. I can't shake the feeling that if I hadn't of woke him, if I had stayed asleep, that he might have died in his sleep. He woke a half hour later and had a good breast feed and then I kept him sleeping on the bed next to me on top of the duvet as I'd been so scared. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you wake them or let them continue sleeping?is this just the sleep pattern naturally developing as he gets bigger and older. Usually its a feed/wake 3 hourly. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

toomuchfaster Thu 09-Mar-17 07:10:23

DD used to do this on odd nights after a particularly bad period, it was like giving me a chance to catch up a bit!
At 5 months going longer between feeds is a good thing, he's growing up! I do remember the feeling of being terrified she was dead as I ran to check on her breathing, I think that's normal but don't let it get out of hand.
Does he need a blanket and sleeping bag? That sounds a lot unless you're not in the UK.

MrsGB2225 Thu 09-Mar-17 07:13:54

Babies can go into a deep sleep. If you are really worried you can get a baby movement monitor (hisense or Angel care). I had a hi sense one for the first year and it provided a lot of reassurance to us.

cookieswirls Thu 09-Mar-17 07:16:29

I don't think I would use a sleeping bag and blanket. The sleeping bag alone should be fine. I have twins and one slept the whole night at about 4 months old and I was so worried but I think it's just something they do now and then. Wish they would sleep all night now

strawberrypenguin Thu 09-Mar-17 07:40:20

He will start sleeping longer at some point. It isn't recommended to use a blanket with the sleeping bag though so I'd stop doing that

bshorty Thu 09-Mar-17 08:23:17

Thanks everyone it's lovely to get a response so quickly. We'll lose the blanket, we're in the UK but it's the colder room in the house so that's why I used it. But actually it's not been as cold this week. Got in to a habit I guess.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 09-Mar-17 14:33:12

I use this chart and a thermometer to help gauge what DS should wear to bed. Paranoid maybe but I'm still learning grin

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way your DS was sleeping. He's probably like this a lot more than you realize because you're asleep too. My DS can be difficult to rouse when he's really tired and his breathing can become soft and seem shallow but he's fine. Cool is a good temperature - if he was too cold he'd wake up (although apparently the same isn't true when they get too warm - sadly).

If you're worried speak to your dr but it sounds perfectly normal!

Carta60 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:07:57

Agree I wouldn't use the blanket and I have a monitor for movement which is great peace of mind. If your home is smoke free and you're breast feeding you're doing all you can to minimise any risks x

JumpSturdy Sat 11-Mar-17 09:46:14

I freaked the fuck out the first time DD slept through at 11 weeks - 10 hours without a feed! I still have to check she's breathing if I wake up at night. But it's fine. They do start to go longer at night (most of them). Room thermometer for reassurance about temperature?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now