Talk

Advanced search

2 y/o suddenly won't fall asleep without me holding her hand

(4 Posts)
Loops81 Tue 07-Mar-17 17:06:27

My 2-(almost 3)-year-old has been a pretty good sleeper up until now - good bedtime routine, falling asleep by herself in bed after snuggles and stories. A while ago she suddenly refused to go to sleep without me being sat right next to her holding her hand (which can take up to half an hour) - and she SCREAMS if I try to leave her. I usually think things like this are a phase, go along with it and wait for her to go back to normal - but this has been going on for two months now! And I'm really starting to hate bedtimes, which I used to enjoy. We tried explaining gently, leaving her to cry, going back to check on her, blah, but she just screams herself hysterical. What's going on and how can I break the habit without traumatising her?!

MoveOnTheCards Tue 07-Mar-17 17:10:01

We went through this with our DS at exactly this age too! He would insist on clutching our finger until he was firmly asleep and go crazy if we tried to leave earlier. Even though he was previously a good self-settler and sleeper.

I don't have much advice I'm afraid, only reassurance in that in our case it was just a phase and it passed after a few weeks. Sorry you've had it for a couple of months but hang on in there!

ohisay Tue 07-Mar-17 17:20:20

Have you got something of yours that's she could hold instead, a teddy or something similar that she could look after and keep safe while you just pop to the toilet or something quick? Then Take longer each time? X

LadyandTramp Tue 07-Mar-17 17:21:43

In 15 years you'll give anything to have this time again.

My daughter now 7 did the same and I used to remind myself that she wouldn't do it for ever and try to enjoy the moment. I know that's easy to say when you're at the end of a long day.

She hasn't asked for a while but did last night and it was SO LOVELY.

Believe me it will pass but it's the sweetest thing (sob... They grow up so fast) flowers gin

Sorry no help whatsoever blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now