Talk

Advanced search

daytime/ nighttime sleep - confused!!!!

(3 Posts)
mackoo0524 Fri 03-Mar-17 18:30:51

Hi ladies, was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue... My DS is 5.5 months old, and recently his sleeping pattern seems to have changed. He now typically goes down around 8.30/ 9pm at night (used to be 9.30-10), sleeps for a 5- or 6-hour stretch and wakes up for a feed, goes down again, sleeps another 2 or 3 hours then stirs, I usually BF him and he might go down for another hour or so before waking up between 6 and 7.

This means that he only gets 9 hours of nighttime sleep, maximum. But during the day he seems to sleep a lot more than before - he now tends to have a long morning nap, a long lunchtime nap, and a shorter late afternoon/ early evening nap, clocking up 4 hours of daytime sleep. I often have to wake him up from a nap because I"m worried that too much daytime sleep will disrupt his nighttime sleep...

Is there anything wrong with this sleeping pattern??? Most 'experts' seem to say that a baby his age should have 10-11 hours of nighttime sleep... But when I tried to put him to bed earlier (say 8pm), he just gets up at 5?!!! It seems to me that he's unable to sleep more than 9 hours at night?

Maybe I'm just over-analysing this... Any advice most appreciated !

JumpSturdy Fri 03-Mar-17 19:30:37

It sounds fine. 9 hours overnight with one wake up sounds pretty good. Don't try and limit his daytime naps, let him get what he needs - good sleep encourages good sleep - cranky, overtired babies will fight you! Hard as it is, try not to worry too much about the experts' manuals. Baby hasn't read them!

FATEdestiny Fri 03-Mar-17 20:56:52

Sounds fine.

Depending on the times of your daytime naps, you might be able to move then them around to encourage an earlier bedtime. If you want to that is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now