Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good swaddle for legs only (arms out?)

(16 Posts)
FTM85 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:21:26

My little girl doesn't like her arms restricted but does like her body swaddled

Thanks

crumpetsandcoffee Wed 01-Mar-17 10:23:18

My son done this when he was small, I just used a blanket/shawl

FTM85 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:36:24

Thanks crumpetsandcoffee - did it work for you? My 5 week old won't sleep alone and also won't sleep on her back. I've tried to fully swaddle and she HATES it, gets really upset as she likes to sleep with her arms up. I'm going to try to swaddle body and legs only to see if she'll sleep on her bednest!

crumpetsandcoffee Wed 01-Mar-17 10:57:06

It worked to a point! After night feed would go down in his crib for a few hours then co sleep. You could also try a rolled blanket under one side to she's not flat on her back? I feel this helped also

Squaffle Wed 01-Mar-17 13:09:15

Our DD was exactly the same, we used this www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/love-to-dream-swaddle-b1687.html?gclid=CN-f0IqwtdICFY6RGwodOZwI0w and it was an absolute lifesaver!

NapQueen Wed 01-Mar-17 13:09:58

We used giant muslins (aden and anais).

FacelikeaBagofHammers Wed 01-Mar-17 13:12:18

I'll second the Love to Dream Swaddle! My little fella napped in it for the first 3 or 4 months ... it was great.

empirerecordsrocked Wed 01-Mar-17 13:14:34

We used giant muslins too.

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Wed 01-Mar-17 13:19:24

As a PP has already suggested, the Alice to dream swaddle is great! Helps with the startle reflex and also always baby to sleep with arms up! Absolute life saver!!!!

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Mar-17 13:49:09

also won't sleep on her back

It is very, very dangerous to put a swaddled baby on their tummy.

It is very dangerous to put any baby on their tummy to sleep, but especially one in a swaddle.

FTM85 Wed 01-Mar-17 18:17:06

Thanks FATEdestiny - my baby has never slept on her stomach and has also never slept swaddled. She currently side sleeps with rolled blankets on either side of her.

I would like to attempt to swaddle her legs for the very reason that she won't sleep comfortably on her back, to see if this works.

X

FartnissEverbeans Thu 02-Mar-17 14:02:30

I'm not sure that method of sleeping would be recommended as safe? I'm not an expert and we all do what we can to get some rest but I would be a bit worried about it.

If she likes the rolled blankets have you considered buying a Sleepyhead? They're breathable and help the baby feel secure. They're narrower at the bottom than at the top so could have the effect you're looking for. I love mine and wish I'd bought it sooner. It's really expensive but worth it, and they're age to buy second hand as they're fully washable. I think they're generally available on eBay.

I'm sure when swaddling you have to be careful not to make it too tight around the baby's hips as that can damage them - I'm sure you would watch out for that anyway, but thought I should mention it just in case.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 02-Mar-17 14:03:08

Safe to buy, not age to buy...

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Mar-17 14:29:59

You are right in all you say FartnissEverbeans

Side sleeping is as dangerous as front sleeping. This is especially true in a tiny (<3m) baby.

And NHS recommend leaving free hip movement for a baby in a swaddle, so tighter around the shoulders and looser around the legs.

A link to the Lullaby Trust may help on this thread:

www.lullabytrust.org.uk/back-to-sleep

Sleepyhead is a good call.

pastabest Thu 02-Mar-17 14:56:57

If a sleepyhead is out of your price range but you fancy giving it a go look up PurFlo breathable nests which are similar but much cheaper.

I have one for 4 week old DD and she settles in it well from when we go to bed until she wakes at 4am. After 4am she just wants to cry She also hates being on her back.

FTM85 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:32:57

She already sleeps in a sleepyhead x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now