Talk

Advanced search

2 week old won't be put down

(13 Posts)
hibernatingdormouse Thu 23-Feb-17 03:02:50

Our 2 week old daughter is currently breastfed to sleep, I haven't found anything else that works. But as soon as she is put down on her back in her co sleeper or even next to me in bed she wakes after about 10 mins. She sleeps for 3 hours or more if we hold her. We've tried a few methods - swaddling, white noise, hot water bottle. At the moment we are tag teaming in order to get any sleep. Some advice would be appreciated please.

MrsandMrsSmith Thu 23-Feb-17 03:07:25

Is she still hungry? Perhaps she is falling asleep before she has finished feeding. I found this happened. Does she feed again when she wakes up?

ThreesMyMagicNumber Thu 23-Feb-17 03:12:26

My 8 week old was the same for first 4 /5 weeks, then gradually began to settle. I worried that I'd never be able to get her into her Moses basket then all of a sudden things shifted.

Not sure if that helps!

Congrats BTW x

iloveberries Thu 23-Feb-17 05:32:54

If you can afford one try a sleepyhead (google it). Everyone I know who's had one has a baby who you could put down no problem. You can put it in your co sleeper.

Hatemylifenow Thu 23-Feb-17 05:46:12

Yes have you got a sleepyhead? They're ace.

Or a dummy. I know they're not popular among the breastfeeding but I used them on my BF newborn to great effect. He's 11 months now & was breastfed for 9 months.

eviethehamster Thu 23-Feb-17 06:12:06

Can you co-sleep? This saved my life with dd1 as she was the same until she was about 7 months old.

Bobowhite Thu 23-Feb-17 06:21:44

DD1 was like this. I can recommend getting a sleepyhead or poddlepod and Co sleeping. She's still in 'the 4th trimester' so just wants to be close to you and being so tiny and apart from mum even if it's just inches away can be too much for some of them. The sleepyhead/poddlepod sort of hugs the baby, and certainly made my DD feel settled and become more at ease with me being further away. We used the poddlepod till she was 1 and the really was a godsend.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 23-Feb-17 08:33:19

It's really very normal. Hard work but very normal. She's been inside you for 9 months and doesn't like being away from you. Google 'fourth trimester'.

Safe co-sleeping and breastfeeding lying down is the easiest way to get the most amount of sleep.

With my DD, I tried every way of getting her in her co-sleeper. It was miserable and I was exhausted. With DS, now 6 weeks, we've co-slept from the start. Everybody is so much more rested and we're enjoying him a lot more. It's not for everybody, but it's an option.

Congratulations on your baby!

blue2014 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:19:05

It's not reflux is it? Will she go on her back in the day? DS had a stage like that. I bought a sleepyhead and elevated his cot. It's helped a little

bigearsthethird Fri 24-Feb-17 21:26:32

Try a dummy. Sometimes they just want to suckle and don't necessarily need to feed. It's soothing. And if you only use one for sleep time it's no issue really. Or try co sleeping. It's perfectly normal at this age to just want to be with you

Closetlibrarian Fri 24-Feb-17 21:27:55

Normal. Both mine did it. Just keep on trying to put down either when asleep or drowsy. Swaddling helped mine and a sleepyhead with DC2. After about 4-6 weeks he'd sleep like a log in that or a baby swing if he was swaddled tight.

bigearsthethird Fri 24-Feb-17 21:28:00

Sorry see you already cosleep!

empirerecordsrocked Fri 24-Feb-17 21:41:47

At two weeks it just is what it is - she wants to be with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now