Talk

Advanced search

When do they start to sleep in?

(13 Posts)
needalittleL Tue 21-Feb-17 09:23:31

Daughter is 5. Has got up at 5.30/6am since she was 2.5. She goes to bed at 7.30 (ish) every night . Putting her to bed later makes no difference. The only time she ever lies in is if she is ill.

We are wondering when they start to lie in? She's just started to become quite self aware in that she is commenting that she is tired around 10am but that when she wakes up she just wants to get up.

She's a clever girl and understands consequences so she knows she will be ratty if she gets up early but still can't lie in!

It also means she wants two breakfasts, one at 6am when she wakes and a top up at 10 then lunch at 1 and dinner at 5.... she's not overweight and has a lot of energy.

She does lots of excessive, gymnastics, swimming and Irish dance so it's not a case of not using her energy.

It's tough hearing other parents say ' oh X had a lie in til 8am on sat' etc!

I do realise it's not the worst problem in the world but it is highly annoying!

MrsRhettButler Tue 21-Feb-17 09:26:45

Dd1 started lying in around a year ago when she was 10.
Dd2 is 5 and sometimes sleeps later if she's knackered but once her eyes open she's awake, she would never go back to sleep.

MrsRhettButler Tue 21-Feb-17 09:28:52

Do you have heating on in your house? Or does it come on at a certain time? I figured out that the house warming up in the morning wakes dd2 and if it's colder she will sleep longer so I no longer have the heating click on in the morning until I'm ready.

Seeline Tue 21-Feb-17 09:29:22

Sorry to say but mine really only started laying in at around 12yo.
DS who was the worst sleeper (5.30 starts were good ones before he started school) started sleeping until about 7 once he started school, and rarely slept later until he was about 12. Now at 15 he appears at about 11 on non-school days.

dementedpixie Tue 21-Feb-17 09:31:20

Ds is 10 and still gets up around 7am. Dd is 13 and will sleep in until after 10am. Can't remember when she started doing that though

needalittleL Tue 21-Feb-17 09:35:13

Yeah the heating comes on at that time so maybe it's that? Although it doesn't in the summer and she still wakes up at 5.30 if not earlier.

She has blackout blinds and a fro-clock which she ignores.

Ok second question then. At what age did they start going downstairs by themselves?

Artandco Tue 21-Feb-17 09:38:12

Sorry, my 5 year old sleeps until 7.45am school days, 9-10am weekends and holidays. Has since a few months old. Bedtime is 9pm here

Artandco Tue 21-Feb-17 09:39:47

And we don't have a downstairs as in a flat, but they started going from bedroom to play in living room alone from 2.5-3 years roughly

Bloopbleep Tue 21-Feb-17 09:40:39

My 7 yo wakes at 6/7am regardless of bedtime (which is increasingly later) - at 5yo we'd hand her the iPad in morning and let her watch kids tv until we got up. Great parenting;)

Seeline Tue 21-Feb-17 09:43:16

I think it was about 4. At first DH used to take Ds down and settle him in front of the TV, and come back to bed. After a while DS just took himself down and switched on the TV. They weren't allowed to do other stuff on their own until older, but by about 6 they could find themselves some cereal if they wanted it.
Oh and it had nothing to do with bedtime. Ds rarely went to sleep before about 9-10, despite bedtime being at 7. DD always went to sleep straight away.

TwatteryFlowers Tue 21-Feb-17 09:45:04

Ds is 5, almost 6, and will sleep until 8 or half past if he's left to it. The problem is that on a weekend, when we want him to sleep in, dd (4) wakes him at around 7 a.m. and once he's awake he's awake though and won't go back to sleep again until bed time.

They probably could go downstairs and sort themselves out (they can make their own breakfasts and pour the milk without making too much mess) but they'd end up arguing and would be so noisy that we'd have to get up anyway so at the moment they have to play quietly in their own rooms until at least 7a.m. at the weekend. After that, they can play together until we get up (usually at about 8).

MrsRhettButler Tue 21-Feb-17 09:48:17

The waking early is a routine for her now, try setting the heating to a bit later and give it a few weeks to see how it goes, it takes a while to change routines tbh.
Going downstairs depends on the child imo.
I woke up last weekend to find dd2 in my bed eating cereal out of the box and watching cebeebies grin

RNBrie Tue 21-Feb-17 09:53:17

We trained ours to sleep till later with the gro clock. You need to start by setting it to close to the time she wakes up and then reward reward reward for staying in bed till it goes orange. Work hard on the reward thing and also consequences for getting up when it's blue (no TV all day in this house).

Then once you've established good gro clock behaviour set it back 5 mins every couple of days. Its not an overnight fix but it works!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now