Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep is too much sleep?

(8 Posts)
littlemisshappy5 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:59:06

My nearly 9 month old sleeps 13.5 hours overnight (bar a 15 minute feed). She goes to bed at 5.30pm and wakes around 7. She then has 2 naps in the day. First from roughly 8.45 - 10.30, then another from 12.30 - 2.00. Then she's back in bed at 5.30pm for the night. It can be a struggle to keep her up until 5.30pm. She is so ready for bed by this time.

I've always been a little worried as she's always slept a crazy amount. I'd say as a newborn she was only away for around 3 hours in a 24 hour period and has always needed so much sleep.

She's hitting all her milestones so my HV says it's not a concern. I was hoping for a second opinion from you guys. Has anyone else had a baby like this? Thank you.

littlemisshappy5 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:01:50

She sleeps at least what I've put above. Sometimes sleeps an additional hour or two depending on the day.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 19-Feb-17 15:06:23

If she's hitting her milestones and is otherwise healthy, then I'd just enjoy it. You won't find many people who have the same. Most of us will be jealous.

IamRonnieBriggs Sun 19-Feb-17 15:10:24

Around this age DD would sleep 12 hours a night and 3-4 in middle of the day.
She still needs a lot of sleep although it's now starting to reduce slightly (8). When sick she can still do 12-13 a night

I think like adults some need more sleep!

It has its own downfalls though - she's always been a monster when she doesn't sleep!

QuackDuckQuack Sun 19-Feb-17 15:26:14

I've got a 2 year old who sleeps a lot. When she was a newborn I remember googling how long babies should sleep for and she was sleeping 3 hours over the top of the normal range. Last night she slept 8.30 - 10 am and she had a 2 hour nap yesterday. Though I think that is a bit more than normal for her as she's had a busy few days. DH and I like to sleep, so I assume it runs in the family.

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Feb-17 15:56:23

Assuming she is well and healthy, let her sleep as much as she wants.

littlemisshappy5 Sun 19-Feb-17 17:42:16

Thank you all. That's really reassuring.

iam I can most definitely relate to having a monster when they don't get their sleep grin

I'll try to relax about it and just enjoy the quiet time while it lasts.

Timetogrowup2016 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:30:49

You lucky sod lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: