Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep is too much sleep?

(8 Posts)
littlemisshappy5 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:59:06

My nearly 9 month old sleeps 13.5 hours overnight (bar a 15 minute feed). She goes to bed at 5.30pm and wakes around 7. She then has 2 naps in the day. First from roughly 8.45 - 10.30, then another from 12.30 - 2.00. Then she's back in bed at 5.30pm for the night. It can be a struggle to keep her up until 5.30pm. She is so ready for bed by this time.

I've always been a little worried as she's always slept a crazy amount. I'd say as a newborn she was only away for around 3 hours in a 24 hour period and has always needed so much sleep.

She's hitting all her milestones so my HV says it's not a concern. I was hoping for a second opinion from you guys. Has anyone else had a baby like this? Thank you.

littlemisshappy5 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:01:50

She sleeps at least what I've put above. Sometimes sleeps an additional hour or two depending on the day.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 19-Feb-17 15:06:23

If she's hitting her milestones and is otherwise healthy, then I'd just enjoy it. You won't find many people who have the same. Most of us will be jealous.

IamRonnieBriggs Sun 19-Feb-17 15:10:24

Around this age DD would sleep 12 hours a night and 3-4 in middle of the day.
She still needs a lot of sleep although it's now starting to reduce slightly (8). When sick she can still do 12-13 a night

I think like adults some need more sleep!

It has its own downfalls though - she's always been a monster when she doesn't sleep!

QuackDuckQuack Sun 19-Feb-17 15:26:14

I've got a 2 year old who sleeps a lot. When she was a newborn I remember googling how long babies should sleep for and she was sleeping 3 hours over the top of the normal range. Last night she slept 8.30 - 10 am and she had a 2 hour nap yesterday. Though I think that is a bit more than normal for her as she's had a busy few days. DH and I like to sleep, so I assume it runs in the family.

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Feb-17 15:56:23

Assuming she is well and healthy, let her sleep as much as she wants.

littlemisshappy5 Sun 19-Feb-17 17:42:16

Thank you all. That's really reassuring.

iam I can most definitely relate to having a monster when they don't get their sleep grin

I'll try to relax about it and just enjoy the quiet time while it lasts.

Timetogrowup2016 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:30:49

You lucky sod lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now