Talk

Advanced search

Wake a sleeping baby?

(20 Posts)
Nottalotta Sat 18-Feb-17 22:01:22

I've made it to one week before posting about new sleep issues. Ds 2 is a week old and has slept a good stretch each evening.

Each evening I have the dilemma, he'll need a nappy change before bed but that means waking him. Or leave it and sit here falling asleep til he wakes.

BikeRunSki Sat 18-Feb-17 22:02:35

Never wake a sleeping baby! If his nappy is troubling him, he'll wake up.

lightcola Sat 18-Feb-17 22:03:38

When did you last change? I'd personally leave it and see what happens. If he leaks then you know to change it next time. Chances are he'll wake for a feed before it gets too full.

abc12345 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:04:38

Never wake a sleeping baby. Get some good nappies (pampers baby dry worked for my 3, the newborn ones are leaky) and go to bed!

BifsWif Sat 18-Feb-17 22:04:41

I wouldn't change his nappy unless he wakes up, or do it when he wakes for a feed if necessary.

Nottalotta Sat 18-Feb-17 22:05:33

7.30-8 was the last change. He slept til almost midnight last night and even then I woke him. Annoyingly have to cone downstairs to change so no waking 18 months son.

Semaphorically Sat 18-Feb-17 22:06:41

Put him on an inco pad (in case of nappy explosions) and leave him sleep! I wouldn't wake him for a change unless it's a poo or he has really sensitive skin, sleep is precious. At a week old just wait a few days and his sleep pattern will change anyway.

Semaphorically Sat 18-Feb-17 22:07:58

If he's only a week old he shouldn't go more than 3 hours between feeds.

kel1234 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:11:32

I would never wake a sleeping baby.
We always did nappy change while bottle was warming up, feed, back to bed.

Nottalotta Sat 18-Feb-17 22:20:24

He had a feed at 9

BunloafAndCrumpets Sat 18-Feb-17 22:25:30

Are you meant to wake them for a feed at that age?

I def wouldn't wake for a nappy unless he has rash etc. Baby dry are good as pp said. I left my daughter in same nappy overnight when she was tiny unless there was a poo, no probs. Enjoy the peace! smile

Mum2jenny Sat 18-Feb-17 22:28:02

Never wake a sleeping baby

EggsEleven Sat 18-Feb-17 22:32:11

I wake for poo but never for pee. Nappies are v absorbant now anyway. Unless there is leakage or baby has a bad rash, I would let him sleep.

Nottalotta Sun 19-Feb-17 00:54:30

I left him, he woke up pretty much as soon as we got upstairs and had a shot feed. Just woken again.

Orangebird69 Sun 19-Feb-17 00:58:35

I only ever changed my ds' nappy overnight if he had pood..

Nottalotta Sun 19-Feb-17 04:01:59

His nappy was very wet by the time I changed it. Going to get in bed earlier tomorrow. So bloody tired.

teaandbiscuitsforme Sun 19-Feb-17 08:02:09

My DH is changing DS's nappy in our bed whilst I feed him so that he doesn't wake DD when we change him during the night if there's anything you can do to keep him quiet and save you going downstairs!

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Feb-17 08:52:24

His nappy was very wet by the time I changed it.

If the nappy was soaked to leaking, it's time to go up a nappy size or two. I know your newborn was a big weight, so it may take a while to figure out the right nappy size.

A decent disposable nappy (Pampers Baby Dry) should cope with 12 hours of wee. I don't change nappy at all during the night, ever, unless it's a poo. That includes with a newborn.

Nottalotta Sun 19-Feb-17 13:04:14

I do have pampers baby dry, he is in the first size and tbh they don't seem too small. But I do need to get the next size. I had a real pitatwith ds1 and leaky nappies despite going up a size. I don't know why
This one seems to poo twice a night in any case so does need changing but screams through it.

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Feb-17 13:16:03

I suspect it's a boy thing. Boys wee upwards, the way their willy points on lying down. Girls wee downwards. Most of the absorbancy in a nappy is in the gusset area, no use for upwards wee's. You could always try pointing his Willy downwards if it's an issue.

WRT nappy sides, there are massive overlaps in the first 3 sizes. A big newborn could easily be the right weight and size for a Size 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now