Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime for 3 and 4 year old

(4 Posts)
Sunnie1984 Fri 17-Feb-17 06:08:36

I'm struggling to decide on the best bedtime for my two kids, age 3 and 4.

My youngest has just dropped his nap and is now sleeping worse than ever.

They share a room so the eldest gets woken up early.

They currently go to bed at 7pm, and are completely shattered by that time. But they are awake at 5:45 every morning.

It used to be 6:30 wake up, which was fine.

Both kids look shattered and I'm not sure whether moving bedtime back to 7:30 is a better idea, in the hope they sleep later in the morning.

What time was bedtime for your kids at that age? X

MsSampson Fri 17-Feb-17 06:18:46

We don't find a later bedtime makes for a later wake up unfortunately, in fact, quite often the reverse.... As in, if they're asleep by 6.30pm they wake later.
Early waking is a nightmare though, especially when they are obviously still tired. We've battled it for years and it's only now that DD has started school that she's started sleeping a bit better

Sunnie1984 Fri 17-Feb-17 06:46:10

I put them to bed earlier last night, cue an earlier wake up this morning! Argh!

4 year old is shattered, but it's half term next week so hoping some quiet days will help her.

Both also seems to have colds. So maybe that's why.

Plus I'm heavily pregnant so wondering if that is unsettling one of them. Causing earlier wakings.

Maybe I should keep the bedtime for now. The baby is likely to be up early anyway and may well wake the other two! X

FATEdestiny Fri 17-Feb-17 10:31:52

When I had a 3 and 4 year old together (they are 11and 12 now) their bedtime was 6.30pm. They were usually up for 6am though.

I have since had other children and consider 6.30pm horrendously early for bedtime.

My current 7 year old had a 7.30pm bedtime at the 3-4 age. My 2y6m old had a 7.30-8pm bedtime and gets up 7-7.30am. She has a 3h afternoon nap though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now