Talk

Advanced search

12 month old sleep getting worse

(7 Posts)
user1474565301 Tue 14-Feb-17 05:38:40

My DD turns a year this week and her sleep is suddenly getting worse. Seems to be'forgetting' how to self settle. Has anyone else had this?
She is rocked to sleep for naps and used to nap for 90 mins, but now stirs after 25 mins and won't resettle.
At night, she settles herself at bedtime. She wakes once somewhere between 3 - 5am and I breastfeed her. She used to go back to sleep quickly after feeding, but now takes 1-2 hrs afterwards (on off chatting, crying, etc). I go in if it is crying.
I don't understand. Have I fed her at night too long? Is it time to try to teach her more how to settle herself for naps?

user1474565301 Tue 14-Feb-17 06:09:36

She woke for her feed tonight at 3.30am and is still trying to get back to sleep. She is clearly very tired and wants to do so, but can't relax enough.

WheresTheEvidence Tue 14-Feb-17 06:13:13

What naps is she taking at a year I generally have children dropping to 1 long afternoon nap.

I would stop rocking to sleep. If she can settle herself at bedtime she should be able to settle herself at naptime. Especially of she's at the optimum tired spot ; look out for rubbing ears/eyes and then straight to bed etc.

user1474565301 Tue 14-Feb-17 08:18:42

I was wondering about going to one nap. She doesn't generally show me many tired signs, unless she is really tired, so I've been putting her down after three hours awake. Maybe that is no longer long enough.

Thanks. I'll make a concerted effort not to rock her today and see what happens.

user1474565301 Tue 14-Feb-17 10:33:08

How would you go about putting her down for a nap without rocking, without lots of crying? I have tried to do so before and she just gets up and cries for me to come back. I'm not comfortable with leaving her crying on her own.

CraftyMummy91 Thu 16-Feb-17 00:24:57

We had an issue where our DD wasnt falling asleep

What we did was stay with her next to her crib continuing to lay her back down until she does fall asleep - sometimes pretty instant in fact most of the time - if shes really not in the mood then it can take up to half a hour.

Often keeping a hand on her back can help as a reassuring presence, We do stay quiet though as sound/motion when its stopped can re wake a child (or so I have read)

The room isnt in complete darkness - she seems to prefer it to have a nightlight on.

if she wakes up during the night quick nappy check, feed, then lay her back down - can take a couple of times again but shes normally pretty quick to go back off

I was mega sceptical when we first tried this as we had got to the point of co sleeping most nights as we don't believe in controlled crying and didn't know of any other way but it has worked really well and has just needed both of us on the same page to persevere a little those first few nights until she got the idea she wasn't coming into our bed again.

WheresTheEvidence Thu 16-Feb-17 06:10:37

It is upto you to find a way to teach her to self settle that your happy with. This will help at naps , bedtime and during the night.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: