Talk

Advanced search

13 month old- time to go down to 1 nap?

(11 Posts)
LilaGrace Mon 13-Feb-17 11:27:43

My DD is almost 13 months old. She's been on 2 naps a day for the last 6 months (ish) - usually has around an hour at 10am and an hour at 2.30pm. She then gets around 12 hours at night.
When is the best time to transition to one nap? I feel she could cope with it but don't want to rush it either. Does anyone have any tips?

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 13-Feb-17 12:34:40

I'd only do it if she's showing signs of being ready, if it's a struggle to get her to sleep for either of those naps. If she has 2 naps quite happily and has 12 hours at night, I'd leave her be. My DD was about 16 months when she started having 1 nap on some days, 2 on other days. She was 17 months before it was consistently 1 nap.

Hatemylifenow Mon 13-Feb-17 12:36:16

I wouldn't force it unless she shows she's ready, there's no need.

15 months is the average age to drop the morning nap.

MYA2016 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:03:38

My ds is 13 months tomorrow and has been on 1 nap for around 5 weeks now.
I was really struggling as he suddenly pushed his morning nap back from 9.30 am to 11.30. He was then only having 1 hour but come 5.30pm he was absolutely exhausted.
So i started dragging out the morning and at 11.30am I'd give him lunch for half an hour. Then cuddle on the sofa, and upstairs to bed. It's worked a treat and he's sleeping most days 12.15/12.30 till around 2.30 or sometimes even 3.
Then bedtime is at 7.30 and he wakes at 7.30am.
So many people told me he was too young but every baby is different and for him it was the right time.
Battling to get him to sleep in the morning was no fun for either of us
The only problem we have is if we go out in the morning he will fall asleep in the car and that power nap screws up his long nap! I'm having to plan my days much better now.

Hatemylifenow Mon 13-Feb-17 13:06:28

MYA that definitely sounds like he was ready. From the sounds of it I'm not sure op's baby is.

LilaGrace Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:05

Mya- your routine sounds perfect. In the last 2 weeks, my DD has refused the morning nap twice, and on 2 occasions it's taken her longer than 30 mins to go off to sleep. When she does sleep, it's never for longer than 40 mins/an hour.

Maybe I'll leave it another month and see how it goes confused

penguinpurple Wed 15-Feb-17 06:17:10

Mine went to one nap (most days) at about that age and it worked fine. Two naps had started to become a bit of a struggle.
Have to say though she was not in anything like so good a routine as yours from 6 months. Sleep was still all over the place at that age!

Herculesupatree Fri 17-Feb-17 22:23:37

My DS went down to 1 nap at 8 months! shock He just wouldn't fall asleep for his morning nap any more, even in the car! So it really depends on the baby not the age... Saying that mine has always napped for 2+ hours after lunch so he still got all the daytime sleep he needed, think some babies won't stay asleep that long...

Herculesupatree Fri 17-Feb-17 22:25:27

My DS has exact same routine as Mya's! So he's def not too young!!

littledinaco Fri 17-Feb-17 22:32:29

Can you do a mixture, so on the days she doesn't go to sleep in the morning give her one lunchtime nap and maybe a slightly earlier bedtime. On the days she's really tired in the morning, give her a morning and afternoon nap.

I always did that with mine when they were going from 2 to 1 naps or dropping naps so it gave them what they needed each day and ended up dropping more gradually.

Also gives you a bit more flexibility as if they decide to get up really early one day or are just really tired you're not having to hold them off until lunchtime.
Obviously might not work for all babies as some need more of a fixed routine/are harder to get to nap.

Starlight2345 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:35:35

It doesn't have to be just one or 2 naps. Sometimes if you do a group in particular they can go to one nap for that day and it becomes a gradual process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now