Talk

Advanced search

If you co-sleep do you follow the rules, and how?

(8 Posts)
Herculesupatree Sun 12-Feb-17 22:04:51

My DS (10 months old) has been sleeping in his own cot and room since 8 weeks old, but he's not been very well the past couple of days and needs cuddles and reassurance at night. Normally he sleep through. I thought it might be worth trying co sleeping until he's better but I'm scared to just bring him into bed with me because he might fall out or get smothered by something.

I've read that if you cosleep you can't have pillow or duvets? How does that work?! Does anyone actually do that or do you just bring them into a regular bed setup? How do you stop them falling out?! He's not super ill and he likes to launch himself off of high places if given the chance...

bonjovigirl Sun 12-Feb-17 22:16:29

regularly co-slept with my 1 and 2 year old from birth. A lot of the guidelines are there for newborns as they can't move themselves out of the way of a pillow or heavy duvet and could get too hot. Hopefully you'll feel less nervous with a 10 month old. I normally put kids between me and DH if bed in middle of room or next to wall if bed against a wall. Ideally they don't have a pillow and have a separate blanket (mine share my duvet these days). Both me and DH are non-smokers and don't drink so admittedly don't have those risk factors but I would give it a go.
Alternatively could you pop DS' cotbed mattress on the floor next to your bed so he is nearby but not sharing a bed?

Herculesupatree Sun 12-Feb-17 22:22:57

Oh the separate mattress idea is good, thanks Bonjovi!

I don't smoke and wouldn't drink if I thought I might do it. It's more the pillow and duvet advice that I found weird but it makes more sense if it relates to newborns.

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 12-Feb-17 22:35:55

My 11mo ends up in bed with us most mornings at about 5am. Bloody early risers. Although she has co slept fairly regularly from being about 12 weeks.

Now that she is bigger i usually put her in the middle of me and DH. She wear a grobag so has no blanket, and I have her on top of our duvet otherwise me and DH would freeze. We still have pillows but she is placed further down so they aren't near her.

Neither of us smoke or drink and don't take medication that could effect us which I always thought were the biggest issues with consleeping anyway. Give it a go! If it doesn't work out then at least you know for next time.

LauraPalmersBodybag Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:19

Op, are you able to push your bed up against a wall and put your DS on that side? That way you could shift the pillows to the side and wrap the edge of the duvet under you (when my dd was smaller I would wear a warm top and wrap the duvet around my waist to keep it away from her iyswim)... that way you could keep your DS in a grobag if you prefer? I also slept on my side, with my bottom atm stretched out above my dd's head and my top arm curled over her/near her.

At 10 months the suffocation risk is probably small but you might want to be on the safe side.

Hth

Lovelilies Sun 12-Feb-17 22:59:27

I've always had DD2 in my bed smile she's 7.5m now and has a bed guard on 'her side'. She sleeps under my duvet and no pillow. I tend to have my knees up underneath her which would stop her wriggling down, and my arm around her like I'm cuddling a teddy.
Trouble you may have though, is getting him back in his cot after enjoying warm mum and dad snuggles all night!

Herculesupatree Sun 12-Feb-17 23:35:34

Thanks Laura, I have managed to get the bed against the wall so am ready if need to try it - I've found it's best to try and prepare for these things before they happen rather than trying to sort things out in the middle of the night! I expect he won't wake up now!! grin

Yes Lovelilies I am a bit worried about getting him back in his cot but he is normally such an independent sleeper that I expect it would be ok, hopefully!

Herculesupatree Mon 13-Feb-17 13:48:24

So he didn't wake up last night.... typical!!! At least I'm more prepared if there is a next time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now