Talk

Advanced search

New thread- sleep training nightmare!

(7 Posts)
BlankSpace1 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:36:58

I just posted the other night about my daughter not sleeping, she's only 4 months old but I believe she is going through sleep regression and after reading up on it, it seems this is the time you should start trying to teach her to self settle and hopefully sleep for long her periods of the night.

I followed some rather helpful advice another mummy gave me, had her laying in her crib level to my bed, light down, and me gently rubbing her tummy.. at first I could see she was tired, she watched me and her eyes were going, but then she started to cry and scream at me (which I was expecting), so I just continued to rub her tummy and reassure her, I did get her out once for a pat on the back and to calm her down and then I tucked her back in and continued with what I was doing

Eventually though, she decided to start choking on her sick 🤦🏽‍♀️ I grabbed her and leant her forward, then she projectile vomited all over my bed and was pretty traumatised! Of course I felt like the worst parent in the world and gave her lots of love and cuddles, and she ended up back asleep in her bouncer until morning.. I had to cancel work as I literally slept an hour and a half and she barely slept too..

How on earth can I approach this is this is what she does! I honestly feel trapped! Any advice would be great! Thank you x

BergamotMouse Fri 10-Feb-17 15:12:48

I can understand your desperation to get your baby to sleep better at night but my advice would be just to ride it out. Anything that gets your baby so upset just isn't worth it.

There is evidence that babies can't actually self soothe until much older - I would suggest having a look at the gentle sleep book. It really helped to readjust my expectations on what baby sleep is really like.

I have a 6 month old and got through the sleep regression to then start on teething troubles and now she's randomly awake for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. It's tough and I honestly thought we'd sleep train her but the more I looked into it the less willing I was to put her through it.

Probably not the response you are after.

BertrandRussell Fri 10-Feb-17 15:15:56

Even people who agree with sleep
training would say she's far too young. Just go with the flow- it will get better with time. I'm afraid she's just doing what babies do.

BlankSpace1 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:39:39

Urgh I'm just getting confused.. I thought she was too young too! But then lots of people said to try and do it now she has regression, if you look at my post 'I don't know what to do' also in sleep, you'll see what I mean 🤦🏽‍♀️ I don't know why I'm so lost, this is my second baby! I just want to do what's right by her

BlankSpace1 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:08:08

I sleep trained my last one at 11 months, and I know that's quite a bit older but it worked really well, which is why I wasn't planning on trying with this one until sort of 7-8 months old

BergamotMouse Fri 10-Feb-17 16:20:15

If you don't feel comfortable with it I'd say hold off. I just read your other post and it sounds like you have it really tough! You have my sympathies.

How are her naps? I find better naps lead to better night time sleep. Could you try taking her out in the pram / sling for a good walk in the morning or afternoon so she gets at least 1 good nap in. This also might help set her circadian rhythm so she knows the difference between night and day.

I found a sleepyhead helped us - got one second hand for £50 on gumtree so might be worth a look. You hinted that you'd tried something like that though.

Not really sure what to suggest.

BlankSpace1 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:45:50

She naps really well! Has a short power nap in the morning and in the evening, and has a long nap around 1-3:30ish every day so her nap routine works really well!

Yeah I have the equivalent to a sleepyhead, but sadly it doesn't seem to do the trick, I think maybe I will have to hold off and hope she just improves a little bit, cus I felt awful with how upset she was last night poor thing!

She may be a nightmare and I might be very sleep deprived, but she's still just my little baby! Perhaps I'll revisit this whole thing in a couple of months x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now