Talk

Advanced search

What nonsense is this?! Nap time issues

(8 Posts)
Spudlet Fri 10-Feb-17 10:30:44

DS is 13 months old and his naptimes have gone keraaaazy... we were in a lovely routine of wake up at 7-ish, nap at 10.30/11-ish, second nap at 3.30/4-ish, bed at 7. It was marvellous, I tell you. Marvellous.

But in the past couple of weeks, it has all gone to cock! He is waking up at 5.30am (😖 I am not a morning person), then passing out as early as 9am. He then sleeps for an indeterminate time - 3 hours the other day. 20 frickin' minutes this morning.

Then he either does or more often does not have an afternoon nap. Maybe a 10 minute doze while we're walking the dog? Or nothing, he's happy (actually he's not happy, he's drastically overtired but you know what I mean) with nothing 😖

Thank goodness, and I am frantically touching wood as I type this, bedtime has remained stable and he's sleeping through still - for now. Before Christmas we had a hellish few months of illness, teething, sleep regression, illness, so bloody hell do we need the nighttime sleep!

Is it time to transition to one nap, and if so how, considering he's quite literally falling asleep on the floor by 9am?

Spudlet Fri 10-Feb-17 10:40:22

Oh, and also - he is an inveterate nap refuser. You can't cajole him to sleep if he doesn't want to sleep... so there is no point in trying to stick with the old routine, we will just both end up in a state. He has inherited a dreadful stubborn streak from both me and DH, god help us

Hedgeh0g Fri 10-Feb-17 22:15:29

45 mins at 9am, long nap over lunch (12 ish). Gradually cut down the 9am nap to transition to 1.

FreeButtonBee Fri 10-Feb-17 22:25:23

Time for one nap. Aim for 10.30 and max 2 hours first day and move gradually forward. Big Snack before it until it's vaguely lunchtime-y. Maybe 10 mins power nap in buggy for first week if he conks out before 3pm but I'd keep the car/buggy trips v short in the afternoons for a a couple of weeks.

Spudlet Fri 10-Feb-17 22:38:49

Thanks both. He actually managed a good post-lunch nap (at least an hour, albeit in the pushchair) and he was so much happier for it all day. You're right, it's time! We're off to my family this weekend so I'll probably just roll with the punches since we'll be in a different routine etc, but when we get back I'll have to make a concerted effort to crack this.

Just got to work out how to rework the rest of the day so DS gets a nap, the dog gets a walk, and I get a cup of coffee (very important part of nap time in this house). Poor old dog, he doesn't know whether he's coming or going at the moment, we're all over the place!

Mistletoekids Fri 10-Feb-17 22:43:06

My daughter is doing this! Similar age

I can't be dealing with the early starts!!

I feel your pain

Spudlet Fri 10-Feb-17 23:17:51

Thank god DH can deal with mornings better than I can... I am like a particularly evil tempered zombie until I've had a coffee.

It's lucky DS is cute, that's all I can say. Or I'd be looking into the returns policy grin

Hedgeh0g Sat 11-Feb-17 12:49:24

I used to make the 9am nap a car nap on the way somewhere, then back for lunch and long nap. So could you walk the dog at that time maybe? Then you get coffee and lunch in peace smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now