Talk

Advanced search

Is 5 months too young for this?

(10 Posts)
Inthehighcastle Fri 10-Feb-17 08:39:35

DD 5 months is a horrendous sleeper. Wakes every hour on the hour, occasionally does a two hour stretch. More often than not after I transfer her asleep to her cot she will wake after 5, 10 sometimes 20 minutes. This can go on for hours until she finally does an hour or so stretch. I also have a three year old so can't just sleep when baby sleeps in the day.
She currently falls asleep on the bottle (one bottle a day at bedtime) in the bouncy chair downstairs and then I carry her up when I go to bed. I know this is probably not helping and she needs a proper bedtime routine.
So I was thinking about doing bottle, bath then put her down awake in cot and comfort her but basically she needs to learn to fall asleep in the cot.
Is it too early? Should I just suck it up for a few more months? I never sleep trained DS and tbh he's still not brilliant, I sit with him while he falls asleep and if he wakes always comes in with us so I'm keen to be a bit stricter this time.
I really wanted a good sleeper this time!! I'm just so tired I can't even think straight and formulate a plan.

nobodysnogslikejoebloggs Fri 10-Feb-17 08:48:13

I don't think what you're suggesting sounds bad - it sounds like a good routine. Sleep deprivation is literally hell and I think you should try whatever you can to get some extra sleep in.

Juveniledelinquent Fri 10-Feb-17 08:53:01

Definitely go for it. Everyone losing sleep is hell. flowers

bikingintherain Fri 10-Feb-17 08:54:24

I could have written your post a few months ago!

What we did was what you describe with the routine, putting baby in cot awake etc. We also started weaning a little so that we had more confidence that she wouldn't be crying due to hunger.

Then sat with her tapping/rubbing/tummy until she went to sleep. She didn't like it particularly but we saw such an improvement after a few days. Our DD still needed a bottle at about 4am, which obviously we have her.

This isn't the perfect solution, and it may not work for you, but j wanted to give you hope that you can do things to improve the situation.

My DD now usually sleeps 11 hours at nearly 8 months old, but there are always nights that aren't as good.

I know there are some who will utterly disagree with me, but I thought you find it helpful to hear my story.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 10-Feb-17 08:56:22

I did bath bottle bed from day one. What you're suggesting is a good plan.

mimiholls Fri 10-Feb-17 09:10:09

No its definitely not too early. What you're suggesting sounds good, you can't go on as you are.

Afreshstartplease Fri 10-Feb-17 09:13:00

Sounds good to me op

I often put ds (16 weeks) to bed awake

He generally sleeps 830-630 but may stir for dummy between 5 and 630

Inthehighcastle Fri 10-Feb-17 09:21:13

Thanks for all your replies. We will definitely give it a go, if she's getting herself hysterical or no improvement after a week or so we can always go back to cuddling to sleep.
I'm not expecting her to sleep through so soon but I must be out of bed 20 times some nights

Inthehighcastle Fri 10-Feb-17 09:22:35

Bikingintherain - how long did it take the first night?

bikingintherain Fri 10-Feb-17 09:31:57

I honestly can't remember exactly, but I think about half an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now