Talk

Advanced search

8 mo will no longer sleep in his cot

(6 Posts)
YellowRoses6 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:38:21

My DS has always been a pretty terrible sleeper, but up until recently bedtime was the one thing that seemed to go ok for us. We had a good routine, he'd get nice and sleepy and go down in his cot at 7pm, then sleep till about 10pm. He'd wake up very frequently through the rest of the night, but at least I got an evening!

A couple of months ago he got poorly and after his first wake up of the night would only sleep if I brought him into bed with me - that remained the case even once he got better, so we've been co-sleeping since then.

The problem is that recently he's started waking up about half an hour after I first put him to bed, and it's then really difficult to resettle him in his cot. I'm now spending most of my evening trying to get him back to sleep, and it's getting me down - especially as he will only go to sleep in my arms so my DH can't help much.

Does anyone have any similar experience / ideas on encouraging him to sleep in his cot, at least for that initial sleep?

Oddly he will sleep in his cot for naps during the day, but just seems to need to be close to me for night time sleeping.

Lovelilies Thu 09-Feb-17 21:41:19

Sorry, no help here (I co-sleep with DD2 7months AND DS who's 3!)
8m is heading into separation anxiety time so it's very 'normal' behaviour if that's any consolation?

Mrstumbletap Thu 09-Feb-17 21:51:20

What are his naps like in the day? Are they too long? When is his his last nap of the day?

YellowRoses6 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:08:20

I have wondered if it's to do with separation anxiety - though he doesn't seem to be showing signs of it during the day. Do they sometimes just get it at night...?

He naps for a total of 1.5 hrs (up until recently 3 x 30 mins; now usually an hour in the morning and half an hour in the afternoon) which I think is actually less than he's supposed to get. Last nap usually 3ish.

YellowRoses6 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:23:23

Lovelilies do you keep your DD2 with you till you go to bed, or does she initially sleep without you?
I'm fine with co-sleeping once I'm ready to go to bed, but I'd rather not have to go to bed with my DS at 7 smile

Lovelilies Thu 09-Feb-17 22:32:56

I take her up at about 7 (she's tired then) and BF to sleep. Most of the time she wakes again once or twice for a quick 'snack' but falls asleep again after 5-10 min feed.
I have kind of tried to do the self soothing stuff, but TBH she's DC3 and the others didn't self settle til much older, toddler age, and I find it easier to feed her back to sleep.
I have a bed rail on my 5ft bed and a video monitor so I can keep an eye on her.
It wouldn't work for everyone, but we're happy with the arrangement right now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now