Talk

Advanced search

Should 11 week old have more routine than this?

(4 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Wed 08-Feb-17 21:48:48

Dd is nearly 11 weeks and has hit a really unsettled phase where she can't seem to sleep for longer than 30 - 40 minutes at a time (unless lying on me). She settles herself fine (nothing has been forced by me, she usually - until lately - drifts off to sleep with no fuss in her cot during the day and her next2me are night) but she's totally unpredictable. The one nap of the day I used to be able to rely on was the morning where she'd have a good two hours on a good day. But beyond that there's no recognisable pattern, other than she generally follows feed, awake, sleep during the daytime and generally resettles well at night and can do one 5 or 6 hour stretch. She has a bedtime routine and was going down quite nicely (again, in her next2me) but has always awoken between an hour and 3 hours after going to bed. Lately that's decreased to 40 mins. I don't think it's a growth spurt as she's not hungrier than normal but I don't think it's a regression as timing seems wrong? I keep seeing posts from people who are able to say the almost exact times their babies will feed or sleep at the same age, but I really couldn't say from one day to the next what she'll do. She generally has the same wake up time (7.30am) as that's when ds gets up for school so it's dictated by that. Should she be a bit more consistent by now? Aware she's still little so I expect it to an extent, but she's blatantly not getting enough daytime sleep as she's cranky and awake every evening!

RusticMEGan Thu 09-Feb-17 00:01:17

Im not sure but DS Is 5mo and has NO routine, I follow him and yes I might be making a rod for my own back but its less stressful trying to get him to sleep for 2+ hours ect when he's just not tired yet. Sometimes he can go to bed at 9 and sleep through 12 hours but sometimes he can go to bed and 2 and will wake and 9 for example. Haven't noticed a pattern with naps in the daytime yet.
Im sure someone will come along and tell me im doing it all wrong blush

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Feb-17 09:55:54

she generally follows feed, awake, sleep during the daytime

This is fine and is a routine. Albeit a baby lead routine.

The only thing I would suggest would be to put a maximum limit awake time. Fine if baby is tired before then, but I would limit awake time to 90m at this age, with the ideal being about an hour between naps.

Aside from that, let baby sleep as long as possible. Feeding every awake time (as you are) ensures regular feeds. So it's all good in terms of routine.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 09-Feb-17 12:49:26

Routine doesn't have to be based around time - it can just be a series of events that happen in a similar order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now