Talk

Advanced search

Stop rocking 11month old

(4 Posts)
Eeffy Wed 08-Feb-17 19:36:11

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to gently wean a nearly 1 year old from being rocked to sleep?

I was boobing to sleep, but for the past month or so he doesn't go over on the boob so dad comes in and rocks him (normally just takes a few minutes), but I struggle to rock him in the preferred way and it never seems to work for me!

I don't like being dependent on dad and am aware we can't rock him forever, so does anyone have any gentle tips? Can't put him down awake as he'll stand up and scream, but I'm happy if we could get to a point where we even cuddle him for a bit rather than stand and rock him

Don't want to try anything too harsh as his sleep has gradually improved with usually only 1-2 managable wake ups unless he's poorly

FATEdestiny Wed 08-Feb-17 21:06:53

The idea would be to make slightly slower/different rocking movements. So rock the preferred way until settled, then slow the pace down. If baby gets upset go back to the preferred way, then slow again once settled again. And so on.

TippetyTapWriter Thu 09-Feb-17 19:51:41

My enormous 21 month old still needs to be rocked to sleep like a newborn in cradle hold and I'm pregnant with number two so am reading with interest! Actually we've had some slight success recently with a comfort object (teddy) that I've introduced and been roll playing lying down and going to sleep with. He seems less resistant to being put down awake, even if he doesn't manage to fall asleep and gets upset after ten minutes of rolling around with his teddy. Yours might be too young for roll play but does he have a comfort object of any kind? I've also just started only rocking him until he's calm and drowsy then putting him down. He cries. I pick up and repeat. It worked last night after five goes but that was the first time I've tried it.

TippetyTapWriter Thu 09-Feb-17 19:53:02

Sorry, role play not roll! Duh! I'll blame pregnancy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now