Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on the cio method

(29 Posts)
user1486445324 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:42:43

What's people's opinions on the cry it out method and experience with it??? Don't know where else to turn!!!

LoveIsPatient Tue 07-Feb-17 19:05:48

My DS was breastfed to sleep until he was 6 months when I had had enough. His naps were 30 mins tops and he was tired and grumpy in the day. There are various ways of doing it, i found the babycentre's online info helpful. I started with waiting 5 mins the shhhing and patting, repeat etc.

If you do it, know they're not hungry. Put them down in the same way and pick a schedule. Don't wait until they're overtired or it can be hard hideous.

I purposefully waited until DS was on solids. He loves a 2 hour nap after lunch now and at 10 months he's so much happier than when was catnapping!

Hope this helps

Juveniledelinquent Tue 07-Feb-17 19:08:16

If you stick to it, it works quite quickly. We did it and felt awful but once DS was sleeping better, he was happier and so were we. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Anatidae Tue 07-Feb-17 19:15:34

Controlled crying Cc or cry it out (cio) ?

Cio is shutting the door and leaving them to it. Frankly that's awful
Cc is where you leave them for a few minutes, going in and soothing.

We tried cc with our son after every other method totally failed. It failed too. He is afraid of being left so cc just made him very anxious and it took a LOT of work to undo that.

I'd never do cio. I would do cc but be aware it doesn't always work. If your child is experiencing separation anxiety as a reason for sleeplessness then it may not be the best method. If you feel that it's more habit then it may work.

There's no one method that works for all children. A lot of sleep is developmental, just like walking or talking.

splendide Tue 07-Feb-17 19:17:14

Can you clarify if you mean cry it out (which is what's in your title)?

Please don't do that.

hazeyjane Tue 07-Feb-17 19:18:16

Not a fan, and could never bring myself to do it.

user1486445324 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:19:52

Sorry thought they where the same thing controlled crying is what I'm thinking of doing just not sure

gamerchick Tue 07-Feb-17 19:22:08

Yes they're different and CC does work. However you must pick one and see it through if you want to do sleep training.

How old is your baby and what's the bedtime routine atm?

Whattodo23 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:25:42

I wouldn't use either tbh. Tried controlled crying once felt awful and realised its not for me. Certainly wouldn't recommend it. I have since become a big fan of bed sharing

Juveniledelinquent Tue 07-Feb-17 19:27:07

Yes, I meant controlled crying, where you go back in. I didn't want DS to think I'd completely abandoned him.

user1486445324 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:28:34

Yes definitely cc she turned one in January and at the for the past few days she's started only having one nap for 1-2 hours and night time bath chill out as she get upset when I get her dressed after the bath then we go into the bedroom about 9.30-10 and I brestfeed her to sleep x

HobbyHorsesGoOver Tue 07-Feb-17 19:29:51

Controlled crying works. But it's not easy. If you do it you MUST be consistent. Don't do it once and give up or your baby will have cried for nothing.

Don't start unless you are prepared to see it through.

AllFurCoatNoKnickera Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:40

We are in to our second week of cc and starting to wish we'd done it earlier (DS will be 1 at the end of Feb). For the last week he's gone in to his crib without a sound, wide awake and self settles. He now sleeps from 6:30/45- 6. At 6 wakes for a bottle and goes back to sleep until 7:30.

Our routine is -
5pm - dinner
5:45 - bath
6 - lights go down lower in the living room and he spends time with his dad when he's home from work
6:20 - a bottle if he wants it
6:30 - says goodnight and gets taken upstairs for a book
6:45 - in to crib

The first night, he cried for 10 minutes. We went in after 2, 2, 4, 4. But if we could hear him getting tired we'd up the timer because going in would work him up.

We also took it in turns so he got used to doing a bedtime routine with each of us if one of us was out etc.

Appreciate it doesn't work for everyone but it seems to have worked for us. There's loads of info online about routines etc. But you really do have to persevere and not give in because it sets you so far back.

user1486445324 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:51

With the cc how long did it take till everyone saw a difference x

HobbyHorsesGoOver Tue 07-Feb-17 19:50:55

Worked after the first night for us pretty much but I think that's unusual!

Anatidae Tue 07-Feb-17 20:32:55

We tried it for ten days. It wasn't good. It didn't work. Ds became so anxious it took us weeks to even get him back in the cot.

It can work for some kids, for sure. But I think you should consider WHY you think they are waking. If it's habit then fine. If it's fear/separation anxiety or a physical reason then you're not addressing the root cause.

9:30 is very late for a one year old bedtime. She may be overtired? id try gentle routine changes, an earlier bedtime and rule out physical causes first.

dottydee3 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:38:58

I would never do it, I just couldn't. We have a set bedtime routine which we all enjoy. I think that really helps

user1486445324 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:45:50

She wakes at half 10 and goes down at 9.30-10 I want another baby and don't want them both in my room and don't want to consider having another till I know she's safe and happy in her own bed x

eurochick Tue 07-Feb-17 20:56:06

We tried cc once. She cried so hard she made herself sick, necessitating a full outfit and bedding change. We didn't try it again. We tried various other methods to no avail. She eventually slept through of her own accord at about 18 months.

MatildasMumma2410 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:34:04

I'm thinking about trying CC in a couple of days. My dd is 18 months old and wakes for milk twice a night (once between 12-2 then again at around 4am). It's our own fault of getting her into this routine...giving her a full bottle of milk as soon as she cries out for us with the hopes that it'll settle her straight back down. It usually works but if she has too much milk at night she'll lose her appetite the next day and it's just a knock on effect from there (i.e. She's starving again at bedtime where we start all over again). I've cut down her milk in the night to half of what she's used to but she sometimes wants more when she's finished and starts to cry out. We want her to learn how to settle herself without the bottle. I've been advised to water her night bottles down tonight and gradually switch to water. See how this goes then I'll try the CC. Don't just want to cut her off cold turkey! 😊 I've heard good things though about CC. I've read it doesn't work for all LO's I'll persevere. Good luck! If you decide to do it I'll be interested to hear how it goes! Xxx

HobbyHorsesGoOver Tue 07-Feb-17 21:44:20

Careful with the switch to water matilda as you may just end up swapping one sleep crush for another.

user1486445324 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:05:10

What about weaning her in the night whiles Co sleeping and then once she's sleeping through then put her in her own room? X

MatildasMumma2410 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:15:49

Thanks hubbyhorse 😊 good point. I only plan to wean off milk to water then cut out altogether. Maybe 1 week depending how she does. I think it's the comfort of her bottle she wants more than anything. Tricky this parenting bizz! confused

tiredybear Wed 08-Feb-17 23:03:19

All babies are different. I tried CC once and, like a PP, my LO cried himself sick and would not calm down at all. He's always been a bit high needs. Some babies are naturally more chilled out.

You asked for personal opinions - personally no, don't do it, regardless of your baby's temperament. Sleep is developmental and they will learn to soother themsleves and sleep longer when they're ready. Get support from others to help you get the rest you need.

Liskee Fri 10-Feb-17 22:10:19

Did CC at 6.5 months with DS1 and it worked wonders within 2-3 days. Tried it recently with DS2 and all we got was an hysterical baby. I think he wasn't ready, so we've put it on hold for a month or 2 and will try again. I do believe in it as a method but we've been trying gentler more routine based fixes in the meantime. They are having small but noticeable effect so we'll see how we go. Either way, it's your call and your baby and as others have said be aware it might not be for you both if you try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now